Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2192575 - 09/14/18 01:45 PM CTR is Creating Cash - Need Advice
Wildcat Rampage Offline
Kentucky - Home of the 8 time ...
My customer sold a car for cash and paid it off yesterday. He came to the bank with $14,500 cash. The payoff on his car loan was $14,020, so he paid with $14,100 in $100 bills.

Our teller gave him $80 in change.

He then took the other $400 that he came in with, but it with the $80 and deposited that $480 to his savings account.

*I don't know why he didn't just hand all the money over and say, I want to pay off my loan and deposit the rest to savings. He might have done that, but this might simply be the way the teller processed the transaction.

My CTR is going to have a loan payment of $14,020. Currency exchange of $80 (Based on the original $14,100). And then it's going to have a deposit of $480.

OR is that unnecessary? Since he only came in with $14,500 and the $80 was our $80, can I omit the currency exchange part and credit that part to payment and only have the CTR amount be $14,500.

I do understand that I will need to have tickets to match everything on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2192584 - 09/14/18 01:53 PM Re: CTR is Creating Cash - Need Advice Wildcat Rampage
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Either way it is acceptable - pick the method that will be the easiest to verify two years down the road when no one will remember the specific transaction details.

Return to Top
#2192586 - 09/14/18 01:55 PM Re: CTR is Creating Cash - Need Advice Wildcat Rampage
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By Wildcat Rampage
but this might simply be the way the teller processed the transaction.

This happens all of the time. Ask the teller. You don't need to report amounts he didn't actually receive in cash, but you will need to document why your CTR is less than the amount of the apparent transaction.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z