Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2163114 - 02/05/18 05:04 PM Name on NMLS registry
lisawin Offline
Mississippi
I need a little help. We add the MLO's name and identifier number on all business cards and emails. If the number matches the registry, would the name on the business card and email need to match the registry? For example, our lender uses a nickname or shortens their name on their business card or initial email.

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#2163115 - 02/05/18 05:04 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Then they should register their other name in the NMLS

Return to Top
#2163117 - 02/05/18 05:18 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
lisawin Offline
Mississippi
We have some that do that and others that do not. I am getting push back on it and couldn't find anywhere where the name has to be exact if the NMLS number is correct.

Return to Top
#2163119 - 02/05/18 05:25 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Tell them to read the MU2 NMLS registration instructions:

Individuals are required to provide any names other than their legal name used since the age of 18. Examples include nicknames, aliases, names used before or after marriage.

Return to Top
#2163127 - 02/05/18 06:06 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
lisawin Offline
Mississippi
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2192749 - 09/17/18 03:13 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
BookWormGirl Offline
Upper Midwest
I just had a question from management regarding the use of nicknames for registered MLOs. One of our staff is registered with the NMLS under his legal name, of course, and also provided the nickname he goes by (think legal name is Christopher Edward, and he goes by "Eddie."). "Eddie" is on his business cards, email signature, etc., and I explained that as long as the nickname is listed with the NMLS, he can do business using his nickname rather than his full legal name.

Our higher-ups then wanted to know if that meant he was able to sign documents with his nickname rather than his legal name. My understanding is that as long as it's provided to NMLS, "do business using his nickname" covers signing documents, especially since the MLO also uses his unique identifying number (which, if searched by customers in the NMLS database, would link the nickname to the legal name).

Is that a fair understanding? Or is management on to something with the view that even though business cards and emails may say "Eddie," he should still be signing documents as "Christopher"?

Return to Top
#2192752 - 09/17/18 03:20 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless you are dealing with investors that may have other requirements, I don't see it as an issue as long as they are properly registered.

"Individuals are required to provide any names other than their legal name used since the age of 18. Examples include nicknames, aliases, initials, names used on business cards or advertisements, and names used before or after marriage. Make sure that all names used in your business practices are included such as the name used when signing loan documents.

The information provided in this section is used to enhance the searchable data available on NMLS Consumer Access, as well as to verify information on credit reports, criminal background checks and general compliance purposes."

Return to Top
#2192763 - 09/17/18 04:09 PM Re: Name on NMLS registry lisawin
BookWormGirl Offline
Upper Midwest
Thank you Randy!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett