Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2194781 - 10/05/18 12:59 AM Endorsements - Section 8
Nico Offline
Little Rock, AR
We have a local realtor who makes popular YouTube parody videos and is a Facebook "influencer." One of our originators wants to pay her to wear a shirt with our bank's logo in her next video. I wouldn't hesitate if the "influencer" wasn't also a realtor as we would just be paying for advertising, but I'm concerned about a possible Section 8 violation by paying a realtor to "endorse" us. She does not advertise as a business on her videos; however, they are shared by her Facebook page. I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions!

Return to Top
RESPA
#2194880 - 10/08/18 01:27 PM Re: Endorsements - Section 8 Nico
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So - you want to advertise on Facebook by someone wearing a company shirt while singing a parody video? Now that is a unique branding strategy. And just what does the marketing department and senior management think about this idea? How does it mesh with your overall company image? What market analysis has been conducted to show that people that view her videos are, 1) even in your market area, and 2) watch the videos and pay any attention to what she is wearing? Sometimes, you have to boil it down to marketing basics when you are planning to spend any dollars on social media advertising. What is the potential pay-back? If you are paying for the cost of the video production, then just because she is a realtor would make no difference.

Return to Top
#2195616 - 10/17/18 04:04 AM Re: Endorsements - Section 8 Nico
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
Might be worth taking a look at the FTC's guidance on paying for endorsements and what disclosures need to be made to avoid being tagged as deceptive.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business...ople-are-asking
Last edited by Inspector; 10/17/18 04:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL