Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195297 - 10/12/18 01:35 PM Deficient Escrow Account and Advancing Loan
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Hi! We have an escrow account that is deficient (has a negative balance). We want to advance the loan and pay the shortage, but didn't the rules change and we have to take the funds from our own account and pay the deficiency and then we run an escrow analysis and can require repayment in two or more months- but we CANNOT increase the principal on the loan (advance) right?

Return to Top
RESPA
#2195301 - 10/12/18 01:58 PM Re: Deficient Escrow Account and Advancing Loan Tesla
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - see 1024.17(k)(2)

Return to Top
#2195302 - 10/12/18 02:01 PM Re: Deficient Escrow Account and Advancing Loan Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Ok - but bear with me here - the loan is more than 30 days past due and there are no funds in the escrow account. When they say "advance funds" is it funds from our account or do we advance on the loan (increase their principal)? I think I might be confusing investor rules with portfolio rules (investor rules require advancing bank funds and seeking reimbursement on those funds later).

Return to Top
#2195305 - 10/12/18 02:09 PM Re: Deficient Escrow Account and Advancing Loan Tesla
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"Advance funds" are your funds, but if the customer is more than 30 days past due, you are free to do whatever your loan contract allows.

Return to Top
#2195306 - 10/12/18 02:11 PM Re: Deficient Escrow Account and Advancing Loan Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Got it! Thank you Randy! You are always so helpful! I appreciate it!

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL