Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195409 - 10/15/18 03:35 PM Survey fee
JWills, CRCM Online
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Looking for guidance on a survey fee that is charged on a construction loan at the time of closing, but survey is not done until foundation is in place, weeks later. Is this considered a prepaid finance charge, and if so, can you point me to the proof of that?

Thanks

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2195413 - 10/15/18 04:31 PM Re: Survey fee JWills, CRCM
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
A survey fee you collect for up front would be a prepaid finance charge if the survey occurs after consummation. Real estate related charges are only excluded if the service occurs before closing (in connection with the initial decision to grant credit).

From the commentary to 1026.4(c)(7):
"3. Charges assessed during the loan term. Real estate or residential mortgage transaction charges excluded under §1026.4(c)(7) are those charges imposed solely in connection with the initial decision to grant credit. This would include, for example, a fee to search for tax liens on the property or to determine if flood insurance is required. The exclusion does not apply to fees for services to be performed periodically during the loan term, regardless of when the fee is collected. For example, a fee for one or more determinations during the loan term of the current tax-lien status or flood-insurance requirements is a finance charge, regardless of whether the fee is imposed at closing, or when the service is performed. If a creditor is uncertain about what portion of a fee to be paid at consummation or loan closing is related to the initial decision to grant credit, the entire fee may be treated as a finance charge."

Last edited by John Burnett; 10/15/18 05:57 PM. Reason: Tweaked the citation

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2195420 - 10/15/18 05:37 PM Re: Survey fee JWills, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Online
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Thanks Adam. Trying to make a convincing argument.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2195429 - 10/15/18 06:06 PM Re: Survey fee JWills, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Any such fee that you collect after closing (sometimes such fees are deducted from progress disbursements) will also be a finance charge, but not a PPD finance charge.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2195457 - 10/15/18 08:06 PM Re: Survey fee John Burnett
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By John Burnett
...fees...deducted from progress disbursements will also be a finance charge, but not a PPD finance charge.
shocked Unless I'm missing something (increasingly likely each day), Section 1026.2(a)(23) disagrees.

Return to Top
#2195459 - 10/15/18 08:11 PM Re: Survey fee JWills, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Unless I'm mistaken [also likely as 'future fees' isn't my strong point...we collect at closing or book and collect at payoff], I think their inclusion of fees withheld from proceeds are just those withheld literally in conjunction with consummation/booking and not fees later taken out of a draw on a LOC.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z