Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195621 - 10/17/18 11:59 AM Investment Property Exempt from Section 43?
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Looking for some clarity, the small entity guide does not list investment property as exempt from section 43, however I have found a chart from PP Doc's Inc. that list that it is? If the investment property is underwritten on the consumer side but for business purpose than no Reg Z should apply correct?

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#2195625 - 10/17/18 01:02 PM Re: Investment Property Exempt from Section 43? Soccer
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Correct. If it is a business purpose loan, then Reg Z will not apply. The department that originates the loan does not make a difference in applicability to Regulation Z.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2195626 - 10/17/18 01:12 PM Re: Investment Property Exempt from Section 43? Soccer
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I would also caution you to be careful of the term 'investment'. This is not defined in the regulation and could be a business investment (rental property) or a consumer investment.

Return to Top
#2195631 - 10/17/18 01:38 PM Re: Investment Property Exempt from Section 43? Skittles
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By Skittles
I would also caution you to be careful of the term 'investment'. This is not defined in the regulation and could be a business investment (rental property) or a consumer investment.

Exactly. I personally bought an "investment" property two and a half years ago. It was a foreclosure that was missing a kitchen, furnace, and water heater; had broken windows, ruined carpet, and a leaky roof. We moved into it 1 week after we took possession of it and have been living in it ever since.

To me and my wife, we view this as an investement- and, for us, it is. A personal investment.

Since there was no business purpose on our loan, it 100% applied to Regulation Z.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2195632 - 10/17/18 01:39 PM Re: Investment Property Exempt from Section 43? Soccer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Soccer - what specific chart are you referring too - I would like to review it.

Return to Top
#2195676 - 10/17/18 04:29 PM Re: Investment Property Exempt from Section 43? Soccer
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Randy:

I sent you a PM

Return to Top