Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195979 - 10/19/18 05:05 PM ENDORSEMENT ON BUSINESS ACCOUNT
Banker23 Offline
New Poster
I am curious how other banks handle this situation....

Account Title is ABC Inc

Checks deposited are made payable to ABC Inc DBA CDF Mart

We are stamping the checks with our endorsement stamp. We have no relationship with CDF Mart and Secretary of State does not have this company listed as an assumed name. I understand that we would never accept checks made payable to just CDF Mart but shouldn't the stamp be sufficient without having the CDF Mart as part of the title?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2195982 - 10/19/18 05:19 PM Re: ENDORSEMENT ON BUSINESS ACCOUNT Banker23
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your bank's endorsement guarantees that CDF Mart received the proceeds every check payable to CDF Mart. In order to assure that your guarantee is not foolhardy, you would require documentation to verify that ABC Inc. has the legal right to use that name in its activities; i.e. you need a copy of ABC Inc.'s DBA registration that they are doing business under that assumed name.

The account title is the least of your problems, but it should be accurate so your tellers understand checks payable to CDF Mart can be deposited to ABC Inc.'s account. Otherwise, if you hire an experienced, well trained teller from another bank he or she will refuse the deposit.

Return to Top
#2196019 - 10/19/18 09:41 PM Re: ENDORSEMENT ON BUSINESS ACCOUNT Banker23
Banker23 Offline
New Poster
The checks are not payable to CDF Mart they are payable to ABC Inc DBA as CDF Mart. The account is only in the name of ABC Inc.

Return to Top
#2196038 - 10/21/18 02:08 PM Re: ENDORSEMENT ON BUSINESS ACCOUNT Banker23
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That fact doesn't impact what Mister Dowd suggested that you should do regarding their ability to operate a dba in that name.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett