Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1813088 - 05/10/13 03:06 PM CTR not on us checks cashed
dnau Offline
If a customer is cashing a not on us check over $10,000, do I provide the account # on item #22 or is the account number section would only be completed if they used an account at our bank to withdraw the funds? Thanks for response.
Last edited by John Burnett; 10/26/18 08:17 PM. Reason: correcting subject line
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1813186 - 05/10/13 04:25 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
I belive that the account # portion of the CTR is for "on us" account numbers only. Not transit account numbers.

Return to Top
#1813257 - 05/10/13 05:55 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
This is one of the questions that was answered by the plain-English instructions on the old (paper) Form 104 CTR. You were clearly told that it applied only to accounts held by the reporting institution involved in the reported transactions.

The instructions for the FinCEN CTR data gathering device (I'm trying not to call it a "form") make no such distinction, but I believe that the intent is to get information on any "on-us" accounts involved so as to trace the report back to the transactions on the bank's records.

If you need a definitive answer, you should contact FinCEN's Help Desk and document what you're told about completing this field. (And please share the info here!)
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1813274 - 05/10/13 06:15 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Only an echo; it was clearly stated on the old form, but it is left to the imagination on the new report.

As a matter of personal opinion, they are only interested in the account numbers of the filing institution. Having an account number on a transit check, but not knowing the bank on which it's drawn would tell them nothing.

Return to Top
#1813295 - 05/10/13 06:39 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I can only add that I think FinCEN would have benefited from a much more thorough user-vetting of their CTR and SAR "forms" and instructions before going live. The initial communication of field names and contents was so complex and had so many new items of information that a lot of people just ignored it. When the new CTR and SAR were finally available for industry testing, there was not enough time (and not enough active participants early on) to get enough feedback on the design or instructions. The result, in my opinion, is a format that is simply not user friendly, with disjointed, confusing and incomplete instructions.

A couple of examples -- there is nowhere in the instructions that tells a bank that it needs to supply information on the branch or office where a transaction took place. The instructions consistently refer to the institution where they took place, but not the "office of the institution" or "branch of the institution." Most bankers were not aware that there are separate RSSD numbers for their individual branch offices. Nowhere in the CTR form or instructions is that hinted at. When reporting a foreign currency transaction involving Euros, the CTR calls for the name of a country rather than the old "EE" code we were told to use for Euros. And how, one might ask, is the bank supposed to know which country issued the euros they are handling? They are fungible in the Eurozone, just as Federal Reserve Notes issued by the various Federal Reserve Banks in the U.S. circulate throughout the country. There is no indication on the euro notes (unlike their coinage) that clearly says where a note is issued (there is a letter code at the start of the serial number (just like our FR notes used to have) that identifies the country. Or is it enough to just pick one of the drop down list countries that we know use euros and move on? Again, no instructions.
Last edited by John Burnett; 05/10/13 06:49 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1965547 - 09/29/14 09:34 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Snowmann Offline
Can I ask who you are reporting in a CTR for a non-customer cashing an on-us check? I have been questioned on this, and now I'm second guessing myself.

Example:
Customer X wrote a check payable to Non-Customer Y, and Non-Customer Y came in to cash it.

We simply report Non-Customer Y, and only include Customer X account number on the report, correct? We don't report any info on Customer X at all?

Return to Top
#1965551 - 09/29/14 09:46 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
You only report information on the person who cashed the check and got the funds which is non-customer Y.

Return to Top
#1965637 - 09/30/14 02:27 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
To clarify, Snowmann, the account number is only provided if it relates to the person named in item 4 on the CTR. Since you're reporting on the non-customer only, you don't include the account number of your depositor.

[Note: This is inaccurate. Read the comments that follow. - JB]
Last edited by John Burnett; 09/30/14 06:31 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1965655 - 09/30/14 02:50 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
On a CTR filing the drop down instructions for Item 21 amount and account number state:

"....Record the account numbers of all accounts involved in the transaction(s)...."

Where does it say that you only include the account number if it relates to the person listed in Item 4?

Return to Top
#1965678 - 09/30/14 03:26 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed Dani York, CRCM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It doesn't say that.

John is extrapolating from his earlier observations that they only want the account number if the filing bank holds the account.

Return to Top
#1965708 - 09/30/14 04:14 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
But Snowmann's post was about a non customer cashing an on-us check so I would enter the account number of the on-us check on the CTR as Dani indicated.

Return to Top
#1965723 - 09/30/14 04:46 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed devsfan
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Okay...the account number of the filing institution is what goes on the form.

Return to Top
#1965746 - 09/30/14 05:49 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Whew! Glad you clarified that. We always include the on-us account number when a non-customer cashes a check.

Return to Top
#1965761 - 09/30/14 06:30 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Point conceded. I was looking bleary-eyed at the form, and thought the reference to Item 4 applied to the amount and the account number. It does not. It only applies to the amount. Sorry for the confusion.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2184226 - 07/05/18 08:30 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Came here from https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2184225#Post2184225 -- reviving dead threads. We've been filing like JB originally stated, like the old directions used to say. I've gotten calls from the IRS on prior filings. The assumption by the IRS person was that the account number listed was the account owned by the subject. In our case it was, because that (was) the only time we put account numbers there, was for accounts owned/utilized by the subject. If a non-customer cashed an on us check, we didn't list an account number.

Crud, its hard to keep all these little tweaks straight. Especially when it looks like its an oversight.

Return to Top
#2196300 - 10/24/18 02:55 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Reviving dead thread again.

So when a customer comes in and cashes a check from a 3rd party, are you guys or are you guys not entering the 3rd party's account number from the check on line #22? I have always followed the pop-up direction which says only record lines 21 and 22 if the transaction involved an account at your own institution.

Return to Top
#2196359 - 10/24/18 06:47 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Only if it is an onus check from the filing institution.

Return to Top
#2196499 - 10/25/18 07:46 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Not entering as the account does not belong to the bank.

Return to Top
#2196632 - 10/26/18 08:15 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'll add to the chorus here. In-house account numbers ONLY.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2196652 - 10/27/18 01:34 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If the instructions aren't clear enough, ask yourself what good it would be if somebody gave you a house number, but not the street it was on as your directions to the party?

What is the value of law enforcement receiving an account number if they have no idea what bank the check was drawn on?

Own bank account numbers only.

Return to Top
#2197294 - 11/05/18 03:29 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Believing... Offline
Gold Star
In the mountains
Agreed. Having said that, I attended a 2-day BSA school in September where the instructor indicated otherwise. He said the requirement changed with the new filing instructions, reiterating how this had flip-flopped back and forth over the years. I have not been including not-on us account number info on my CTRs; guess I've been dreading it...because I don't believe it lends any value. Glad to know there is a different opinion on this subject.

Return to Top
#2197529 - 11/07/18 11:09 AM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed Believing...
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There has never been a flip flop in the instructions on this issue. Find a new provider.

Return to Top
#2197745 - 11/08/18 03:14 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The "roll-over" instructions in the form clearly say "account involved at the financial institution where the transaction(s) occurred."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2200345 - 12/11/18 05:17 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
Jumping in on this.....if we have our customer A cash a check drawn on our customer B's account, we would then include the account number on the form, correct?

Return to Top
#2200348 - 12/11/18 06:07 PM Re: CTR not on us checks cashed dnau
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Yes, you would.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z