Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2196318 - 10/24/18 03:58 PM Overdraft Policy
Oscar Offline
I have been tasked with writing an overall Overdraft Policy for the financial institution where I work. We currently have an Overdrafts section as part of our Loan Policy that covers overdrafts as an unsecured extension of credit and how they should be approved but nothing else. They are wanting a separate Overdraft Policy that covers a lot more. I have searched for industry best practices regarding this and have mainly seen articles on overdraft payment programs. Are there any industry best practices on what should be in a bank's Overdraft Policy?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2196357 - 10/24/18 06:41 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Check CBANC they are very good about sharing policies. You will need to review and adapt to you bank. Use anything you get as a starting point....something to build on.

Return to Top
#2196385 - 10/24/18 08:28 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
Oscar Offline
I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, our IT department has us locked down like Fort Knox so I can't get on the site. I am going to talk to them about allowing it. Thank you!

Return to Top
#2196408 - 10/25/18 12:35 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Sounds like they might want more "procedure type" processes rather than a policy. I have never seen a separate Overdraft Policy.

Return to Top
#2196497 - 10/25/18 07:42 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your overdraft "policy" is where it should be, incorporated into your loan policy as approved by your board of directors.

If your bank wants a description of its "overdraft program;" i.e. the specifics of how you handle overdrafts it's something of a mystery that none was drafted before now; this was a very hot issue going back as far as 2005. (I would do some looking before I started doing any writing.)

Anyway: FIL from 2010 with link to interagency guidance from 2005

Taking documents from CBANC is like eating mushrooms you find along the hiking trail: If you don't know what you are doing the effects can be disastrous.

Return to Top
#2196516 - 10/25/18 08:54 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We have a board approved overdraft policy because of the reasons Elwood states above. It cross references the loan policy as well. OD continue to be a hot button we feel it belongs at the policy level rather than procedural.

Return to Top
#2197594 - 11/07/18 04:55 PM Re: Overdraft Policy Oscar
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Agreed. You should have a policy regarding overdraft programs to set the parameters within which procedures must work. Just as an example, because of the regulatory vibes out there, a bank might adopt a policy ban on imposing "continuing overdraft" fees or on the imposition of an overdraft fee when an overdraft is created by the posting of a fee. Then when some hotshot proposes that you change a program to add a daily overdraft fee (another name for a "continuing overdraft" fee), calmer heads can point to policy and say "Whoa! We don't play that game here!"
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett