Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2197391 - 11/06/18 10:01 AM HELOC application of payment
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
Our HELOCs are interest only and when customers make additional payments it goes to interest accrued then principal. Our note does not specify the application order. We are being told that most banks apply excess payments to principal without applying to interest to date. I just wanted to get some feedback back on how people on here are applying HELOC payments. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2197398 - 11/06/18 01:30 PM Re: HELOC application of payment terpsfan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Typically, only billed interest is taken from the payment and not recently accrued interest, absence other specific language in the loan contract.

Return to Top
#2258416 - 08/19/21 05:56 PM Re: HELOC application of payment terpsfan
Tarhe Online
Diamond Poster
California
Our current HELOC agreement/disclosure is specific about how payments are applied (i.e. fees/charges, then interest, then principal, than late charges). Is this specific order of payment application a requirement in the disclosure, or can we be more general. For example, state "applied in accordance with our standard operating procedure"?

Return to Top
#2258428 - 08/19/21 07:45 PM Re: HELOC application of payment terpsfan
InFairness, CRCM Online
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Would borrowers have a way of knowing your standard operating procedure? If not, you need to be specific.

Return to Top
#2263081 - 12/01/21 11:59 PM Re: HELOC application of payment terpsfan
Mel in WA Online
Diamond Poster
We are changing document vendors and are wondering if we need to be specific about the order (interest, fees, principal). I did not find anything in Reg Z that requires this be disclosed.

Can we be general and state: "Lender reserves the right to apply payments received in any manner lender may choose, in lender's sole discretion, unless a specific order is required by law."

Return to Top
#2263082 - 12/02/21 01:36 AM Re: HELOC application of payment terpsfan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Required no. Not disclosing it might be a UDAAP probably waiting to happen. Depends on your regulator and what you are really doing and if it disadvantages your borrowers.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z