Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2197584 - 11/07/18 04:43 PM SAR Obligation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Customer is SAR'ed. We schedule a 90 day review. In the mean time, at such a small bank, I am seeing transactions every few days that are structured because I see a daily spreadsheet of transactions over 5k for CTR filing purposes. My question is this:
at what point would you recommend amending the SAR and including the new information? It seems to be ongoing. Should I wait the 90 days and complete my review, include everything filing a continuation SAR, and follow normal exit procedure for my bank or do I have an obligation to amend my SAR each time I notice a structured transaction on a customer I've already filed a SAR.

Essentially the question is wait and file or don't wait and amend each time. I'm a one man show, if I start amending every time I see a questionable follow up transaction that should go into the SAR, I will spend all of my time amending SARs, just curious how everyone handles this situation.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2197589 - 11/07/18 04:50 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
If you (or management) closes the account you will not have to send amending or 90 day review SAR's.

CAMS

#2197593 - 11/07/18 04:53 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am aware of that. However, per our policy, a customer must be SAR'ed three times before coming up for closure. So in the mean time, I am curious as to how everyone handles the in between.

#2197602 - 11/07/18 05:13 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I don't think I have ever seen a hard three SAR minimum requirement before. That said, an amendment would be required if you identify something new/that you missed during the time period the prior SAR covered. If the activity occurred after the time period from the prior SAR, this activity would go on your continuing activity SAR.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

#2197605 - 11/07/18 05:16 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perfect. Makes sense. Thank you.

#2197608 - 11/07/18 05:25 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I concur with Adam. When you file your continuing SAR you would include all activity during the review period. You don't have to file for each occurrence.

#2197645 - 11/07/18 07:04 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
that sounds like an internal policy that needs changing, and sooner rather than later. i'd really hate to be the person trying to explain to a regulator or judge why i allowed a customer to continue to structure deposits for a long period of time, and my answer was we review SARs every 90 days and can't close their account until 3 have been filed...and if you are seeing "every few days" in that 90-day window that could be 30 instances, give or take a few...thats a lot...

#2197657 - 11/07/18 07:32 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You don't say why the first SAR was filed. If it was for structuring and the structuring continues you are required to file a continuation SAR that covers the next 90 days. You could file on a shorter interval, but it would be a continuation, not an amendment of the first SAR.

If the first SAR was for one activity; e.g. structuring, and the customer begins a new suspicious activity; e.g. kiting, that is a new filing requirement unrelated to the first SAR.

P.S. Reword your policy to say that after the third SAR the account must come up for consideration for closure. It is nonsense to say it cannot be considered earlier.

#2197658 - 11/07/18 07:33 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
If you can only close after 3 SAR's the activity could be going on for a year prior to closeout. This taking into account time to id the suspicious activity.

CAMS

#2197683 - 11/07/18 08:39 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Has anyone talked with the customer to find out why they are conducting transactions in the manner you are observing? In my experience, providing FinCEN's CTR publication cures structuring nearly every time. Customers are very misinformed and if they are up to no good, they know you are watching and will stop or leave the bank.

Aside from that, I agree that your policy needs amending. It is a total waste of time and resources to continue filing SARs. I have zero tolerance for this. Customer gets talked to. Date is noted. If they don't stop they are out the door!!!

#2197842 - 11/08/18 08:26 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you talk to them without accusing them of structuring, or inadvertently helping them micro-structure by making the deposits smaller or over longer periods of time? And what conversation do you have when you close the account for "possible structuring?" Honestly asking, for training purposes smile

#2197871 - 11/08/18 09:10 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you have provided the FinCEN brochure and asked about any reasons behind their transaction patterns, and follow with a closing of the account if they haven't "mended their ways," you don't have to (and shouldn't) discuss the reason. They will know.

"Burnett's law" on closing accounts for cause -- Never accuse the customer of wrongdoing. Just say you're closing the account, recite any deadlines for action, and follow through.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2198236 - 11/14/18 08:20 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
When talking to a customer simply ASK them why they conduct transactions the way that they do. Then listen. I've heard all kinds of stories. Some make sense, others do not.

But one thing you do have to consider is that they may have a reasonable explanation. If they can show you that the cash is related to daily sales and the daily activities never exceed $10,000 then you have an explanation. Point being that it might look like structuring, but it may just be a coincidence that the daily sales are in a range that makes it appear like structuring.

If deposits are in round dollar amounts ask about that. I had a customer that always deposited $8,000 even. When asked, he told us that 8 was his lucky number and he wanted his business to be successful, so he saved up the cash until he had that amount to deposit. Weird? Yes. Suspicious? No. He stopped immediately after we talked to him and provided the FinCEN brochure.

This is why it is so important to talk to the customer. If however, they remark that they are avoiding CTRs, then you have an opportunity to educate them. Many small business owners are misinformed and try to avoid CTRs for fear of an IRS audit (total myth). In nearly ever case where we had to explain reporting requirements the customer stops structuring. They don't know that they are breaking the law and most thank us for letting them know.

It can be awkward to talk to a customer, but I feel it is necessary.

#2198242 - 11/14/18 08:39 PM Re: SAR Obligation Anonymous
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I completely agree with Trying. Especially if it can avoid a structuring SAR as that is the majority of the reasons we file and we file enough as it is.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale