Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2197790 - 11/08/18 05:39 PM Facebook Giveaway
LostinRegLand Offline
100 Club
WA
We are starting our path of using Social Media and will be starting with a Facebook page. To get our page out there and increase Likes to our page our Marketing Director is proposing to give a gift to any customer that can show to a teller that they have liked the Facebook page. I will be delving into what type of gift and value of gift at a meeting this afternoon but I need to know what rules, regulations, etc I need to be concerned with so I can bring up any concerns then. Social Media is new to us and from compliance I want to make sure we are doing everything right.

Return to Top
Marketing
#2197795 - 11/08/18 05:55 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
It all depends on the specifics of the giveaway. If there is any "chance" involved in the prize, then you might have a lottery on your hands which is prohibited here: https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/1000-2200.html. (State law could also have impact.)

If there won't be any "chance" in the prize, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal though typically EHL and member FDIC rules apply as well as possible bonus/IRS implications depending on the size of the gift. You should also be aware of FB contest rule as they have limitations on shares and tags.

I actually just published a (free) video on Facebook contest considerations that might give you a few things to think about, so I will PM you the link.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2197797 - 11/08/18 06:06 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway Adam Witmer
LostinRegLand Offline
100 Club
WA
Thank you. I would appreciate the link. I have already looked at the FDIC rules on lottery and do not believe that there is any chance involved.

It is the size of the gift that has me worried and I am hoping to get a better picture of that at the meeting this afternoon. I will look into the Facebook rules.

All good areas for me to concentrate on.

Return to Top
#2200902 - 12/17/18 07:25 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
I am wondering what your outcome was. I am not a marketing guy but I was asked today if we could give away a $25 gift card to those whom login to our website and take educational training or visit a particular page on our website. I am wondering if there are an UDAAP concerns or rules that would prevent this? If anyone has any input on where to begin, it would be greatly appreciated. There is no chance involved, every customer is eligible.

Return to Top
#2200912 - 12/17/18 08:27 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
every customer is eligible

It would to be available to more than customers. Then what ever action they are engaging in to earn a chance to win would have to be looked at to see if it qualified as consideration.

Return to Top
#2200914 - 12/17/18 08:43 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Randy, I don't think it would need to be available to more than customers if there is no chance involved, as praBSA stated. I haven't seen this done before (which is always a risk flag) and don't know the particulars of the proposed giveaway, but wouldn't this be similar to giving a bonus for opening a new account?

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2200915 - 12/17/18 08:49 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I may have misread that post. If everyone that does X gets the $25, then I agree.

Return to Top
#2200951 - 12/18/18 03:00 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Correct. We do not allow account openings online, but we were considering allowing all customers the opportunity to obtain say a $20 gift card or equivalent by completing tasks while logged into their account to get them more familiar with our new online banking. My concern was more with customers whom may not use the internet due to age or customer's whom flat out do not have internet if such a bonus would be considered in any way discriminatory. Maybe the fact that I am asking the question means I am answering my own question? I am just thinking out loud at this point.

Return to Top
#2276436 - 10/06/22 01:14 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway Adam Witmer
Tmbg99 Offline
New Poster
Thank you, this video was very informative.

Do the same rules regarding "lotteries" apply to non-banks? Since the FDIC rule only applies to banks. We are a lender, and a Loan Officer wants to do a "like my page and tag other agents for a chance to win a small prize" Facebook contest, and make it only available to agents. Got me thinking about the term "lottery" and if it applies, since agents aren't customers.

My immediate thought is to just open it up to everyone so it doesn't fit the definition of "lottery" (since not everyone is advancing money or credit), and call it a "sweepstakes". From there, follow state sweepstakes rules and Facebook contest rules. If a non-agent winds up doing the tagging and liking, well, you got what you wanted which is more likes and tags.

Return to Top
#2276437 - 10/06/22 01:18 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Mortgage Loan Officer is going to reward real estate agents for liking them. Sort of smacks of paying for referrals and a Section 8 violation.

The Bank determines the institution's social media presence. Indvidual employees should be prohibited from being on social media on behalf of the institution in your code of conduct.

Return to Top
#2276441 - 10/06/22 01:27 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway rlcarey
Tmbg99 Offline
New Poster
Thank you, sir. You confirmed some of my worries as well - I was looking at RESPA because this really blurs that line of referral. We are a non-bank
Last edited by Tmbg99; 10/06/22 01:29 PM.
Return to Top
#2278489 - 12/06/22 02:11 PM Re: Facebook Giveaway LostinRegLand
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Don't forget to also read Facebook's rules for promotions: https://www.facebook.com/business/news/page-promotions-terms
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker