Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2198290 - 11/15/18 04:29 PM Beneficial Ownership and Stored Value Cards
bsa18 Offline
New Poster
Is beneficial ownership required for legal entities that purchase stored value cards (such as a reloadable gift card)? I realize this boils down to whether stored value cards fall into the definition of an "account". I keep going back and forth. Looking for some assistance. Thank you.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2198310 - 11/15/18 05:36 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership and Stored Value Cards bsa18
fmissle Offline
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
You're required to obtain BO information at the time an account is opened.

Account is defined in 1020.100(a) as
Quote:
(a) Account. For purposes of §1020.220:

(1) Account means a formal banking relationship established to provide or engage in services, dealings, or other financial transactions including a deposit account, a transaction or asset account, a credit account, or other extension of credit. Account also includes a relationship established to provide a safety deposit box or other safekeeping services, or cash management, custodian, and trust services.

(2) Account does not include:

(i) A product or service where a formal banking relationship is not established with a person, such as check-cashing, wire transfer, or sale of a check or money order;

(ii) An account that the bank acquires through an acquisition, merger, purchase of assets, or assumption of liabilities; or

(iii) An account opened for the purpose of participating in an employee benefit plan established under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974.

Which doesn't directly answer the question. So I found FinCEN guidance that I think is still applicable and the answer would be,,, (maybe) it depends.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/files/bcreg20160321a1.pdf

Generally, if the card is reloadable it looks like that would be a relationship and BO information would be required.

That's my interpretation.

Return to Top
#2198492 - 11/16/18 05:54 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership and Stored Value Cards bsa18
bsa18 Offline
New Poster
Thank you, that was very helpful.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z