Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2198702 - 11/19/18 10:19 PM LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured
ItsJustMe Offline
Gold Star
New York
We have 'regular' lines of credit that were granted for the purpose of students attending school. At the end of the draw/line of credit phase the LOC is converted to a closed-end phase where P&I payments pay the remaining balance off at a fixed rate.

The LOC account opening disclosure explains that: minimum monthly payments based on the unpaid principal balance plus FC will be made according to the payment schedule determined at the conclusion of the LOC phase; APR will be calculated in accordance with paragraph D.2 (explanation of APR calc); the bank will notify of minimum monthly payment at end of LOC phase.

Does something like this type of conversion require a full Reg. Z disclosure (it's not a refi)? Or is notification, say in the form of a letter, sufficient giving the information we say we're going to give at repayment phase (above)?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2198713 - 11/20/18 09:29 AM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, you are either converting them to a closed-end loan which requires new disclosure or this repayment period is a function on the open-end line, which would require you to continue delivering open-end periodic statements to the customer.

Return to Top
#2198717 - 11/20/18 11:43 AM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By ItsJustMe
'regular' lines of credit that were granted for the purpose of students attending school
Does this product actually begin as a revolving LOC? My bank (long ago) did lots of this kind of financing, but the student/parents started with a multiple-advance closed-end loan--very much like a construction loan. For the same reasons that a revolver would be a poor choice for construction lending, it seems unlikely for education lending. Does the first phase of your credit plan have a replenishment feature? If not, then maybe you are modifying one type of closed-end credit to another--not converting from open-end to closed-end.

Return to Top
#2198730 - 11/20/18 02:04 PM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
ItsJustMe Offline
Gold Star
New York
Thank you rlcarey and Richard Insley for your responses. First, to answer your question Richard, the LOC does have a replenishment feature in that if the line is paid down, they may take additional advances. Second, I agree with you rlcarey in that since this is converting from a LOC to a closed end loan new disclosures are required under 1026.20. Somewhere, somehow Lending stopped that practice and now just send a letter with all the repayment information. I'll get it corrected.

Return to Top
#2198764 - 11/20/18 04:35 PM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Look carefully at your docs before you do that. If the docs provide for a draw period during which advances can be taken, and a repayment period during which no further advances can be taken (like many HELOCs do), then you are not really converting from open to closed. You just have a continuation of the open end loan, now in repayment phase.

Return to Top
#2198789 - 11/20/18 07:04 PM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
ItsJustMe Offline
Gold Star
New York
rainman, the docs do provide for a draw period and a repayment period. I'll look to see if what we have is clear but it seems that we should be okay. Thanks all!

Return to Top
#2198845 - 11/21/18 08:52 AM Re: LOC converted to Closed End Payout, NonHomeSecured ItsJustMe
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If that is the case, then the accounts remain covered under the open-end regulations and periodic monthly statements will be required to be continued.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z