Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2197257 - 11/02/18 08:49 PM Photo release
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am hoping someone here can help me. The bank I work for is having a company wide retreat and there will be professional photographers and videographers there to capture it. Management is getting waivers to use the pictures and video on social media and in marketing campaigns. However, how do we handle employees taking selfies and posting them? We also have a # and management would like to promote those people taking selfies to include the # in the post. What happens if there is a person in the background of a selfie who did not sign a waiver? Are we ok in that it wasn't an image obtained by the bank's professional photographers or do we need to tell our employees they need to make sure everyone in a selfie has signed the waiver? I am at a loss on this one. Thank you for any guidance you can share!

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2197268 - 11/03/18 02:18 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think that any bank management that wants to post pictures of bank employees on social media that identifies them as such, has a whole in their head. Nothing like contributing to a possible kidnapping, extortion or hostage situation - waiver or not.

#2197299 - 11/05/18 03:59 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
that's the growing social media trend these days...i've even seen banks posting on social media about new business customers they've brought on, including their photos as well..."marketing" people, sheesh...

#2197301 - 11/05/18 04:21 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Reminds me of my father when I used to say - but all the other kids are doing it.

His response: It is all fun and games until someone gets killed.

#2197417 - 11/06/18 03:49 PM Re: Photo release rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree! I hate this whole situation. I have not and will not sign the waiver.
Thank you for your input. smile

#2197456 - 11/06/18 06:51 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I disagree Randy. I think you blow this way out of proportion. The sky is not falling. Sure it could happen, but can you point to one legitimate circumstance where it has.

I want brand loyalty and customers work with us because they know us and we know them personally. We share personal information (not an extreme amount) about ourselves so that people can identify with us. We’re not a cold vendor. We care for our customers and they care for us. That’s what this bank is trying to do as well - I assume.

#2197667 - 11/07/18 07:52 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
??? Not sure where you get brand loyalty from an employer wanting to take pictures at a work retreat and use them for marketing purposes.
I agree with Randy and the OP.
I don't keep family pictures on my desk and I don't want my picture used for my employer's marketing and that IS my choice.

#2197676 - 11/07/18 08:16 PM Re: Photo release Truffle Royale
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'd like to respond to the employee privacy issue, but I'm still laughing too hard at the idea that showing pictures of bank personnel at a retreat falls under the heading of "marketing." Nobody, I mean nobody, cares.

#2197678 - 11/07/18 08:21 PM Re: Photo release Truffle Royale
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By Truffle Royale
??? Not sure where you get brand loyalty from an employer wanting to take pictures at a work retreat and use them for marketing purposes.
I agree with Randy and the OP.
I don't keep family pictures on my desk and I don't want my picture used for my employer's marketing and that IS my choice.

Another anon here, but: I agree 100%. The idea of sacrificing employee security merely for so-called "marketing" is ludicrous.

It's also entirely pointless. If I saw, on social media or any website, images of any company's or bank's employees goofing off on a retreat (surely it'll be a fancy place, with catered food, entertainment, etc., yes?) or doing "fun day" stuff or wearing Halloween costume's or having a three-legged sack race or you name it, I'd be very turned off by that.

I'd take that as a sign that they were wasting profits derived from fees and interest, rather than giving back to the community, or giving back to their employees. I'd take it as significant evidence of the bank's ability to manage money.

What any company does, on its own time for its own amusement, is not a matter for social media. Showing photos of that kind of silly stuff does nothing to promote the bank, and may have the reverse effect - it certainly would, in my household.

The bank should be promoting itself with photos that show it is active in the community - maybe showing its employees doing city clean-up days on a Friday, or giving free presentations about savings and home loans at local schools, or working to provide credit counseling to first-time homebuyers, or something along those lines - maybe showing up as a sponsor from time to time for charitable events in the local area.

A company that promotes itself with a "We have fun here, look at our employee-only party! Yay!" vibe just doesn't have its priorities straight.

#2197682 - 11/07/18 08:33 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
If I'm looking for the names of executives/employees of a bank I would go to LinkedIn and the bank's website. Many banks name their branch managers and operations officers on their sites. Social media and LinkedIn can then be used to find out what they look like.

I agree with David. I think the chances of kidnapping, extortion and a hostage situation is remote.

However, everyone should be entitled to their privacy. I wouldn't sign a waiver myself. I don't need my picture used in this manner.

#2197693 - 11/07/18 09:50 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

An anon comments: I work in a branch that has been robbed several times, so I would definitely never want my picture in the paper identified as a bank employee, or my face or name on a bank website. The difference between LinkedIn and the bank's site is that I control my own LinkedIn account - which has no photograph of me. It identifies my bank name but not my branch location.

Basic robbery training they give all new tellers says: never let reporters photograph you after a robbery. Never have pictures of your kids inside the branch. Are David and TryingtoComply suggesting that training is overly cautious or sensational? If I'm trained with "Don't do this or your life and that of your family could be endangered," then I'm not going to take it lightly when marketing suggests I need to be the public face of our branch on facebook.

#2197705 - 11/07/18 11:50 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Then you don’t understand marketing. Most banks stink at good marketing. Brand loyalty is often built by companies sharing who they are, what they stand for and people identifying with it. You can disagree, but do any research on this and you’ll see what I’m saying.

I’m not saying you have to do this or want to do this. I’m simply pointing out it isn’t wrong and the marketing folks or senior management may want this. Keep in mind that compliance officers (those that post here) are conservative, left brained type of people. Marketing people are right brained, creative people. You’re all on the same team. Learn to work together!

I’m also pointing out that some are blowing this way out of proportion. As I asked in my last post, show me where this has ever happened. So far, no one has been able to provide that.

#2197707 - 11/08/18 12:00 AM Re: Photo release Anonymous
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
David, I appreciate your response to the previous posters concerns. I am glad that we can enjoy contradicting ideas as it helps me develop professionally. See you at the next community BBQ wink

#2197744 - 11/08/18 03:13 PM Re: Photo release RockChucker, CAMS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By RockChucker, CAMS
David, I appreciate your response to the previous posters concerns. I am glad that we can enjoy contradicting ideas as it helps me develop professionally. See you at the next community BBQ wink

please post photos for those of us who can't make it eek

#2197749 - 11/08/18 03:32 PM Re: Photo release David Dickinson
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By David Dickinson
Quote:

Then you don’t understand marketing. Most banks stink at good marketing. Brand loyalty is often built by companies sharing who they are, what they stand for and people identifying with it. You can disagree, but do any research on this and you’ll see what I’m saying.

I’m not saying you have to do this or want to do this. I’m simply pointing out it isn’t wrong and the marketing folks or senior management may want this. Keep in mind that compliance officers (those that post here) are conservative, left brained type of people. Marketing people are right brained, creative people. You’re all on the same team. Learn to work together!

I’m also pointing out that some are blowing this way out of proportion. As I asked in my last post, show me where this has ever happened. So far, no one has been able to provide that.

It would be difficult to prove a negative. Besides which I am sure that LE would not release such information as it could invite copycats.

Somehow the bad guys found this Managers family.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-investigating-kidnapping-of-bank-executive-family/

CAMS

#2197751 - 11/08/18 03:39 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
found one

In each of the kidnappings, the pair found victims via banking websites featuring photos of their workers and then used social media sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn to learn about the workers and their families

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crim...pings/97890996/

CAMS

#2197753 - 11/08/18 03:43 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
The good new is he was convicted and will have to serve a minimum of 80 years in prison. At the time he was 43. He will die in prison.

CAMS

#2197759 - 11/08/18 03:55 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

A definition of left-brained: the ability to adequately assess risk

#2198483 - 11/16/18 05:30 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what markets some of you work in, but here banks routinely run ads, print, radio, tv, that feature some of their clients, and often the client's relationship manager. There are also business publications that have annual awards for businesses, and SBA does it too, where the nominees are put forward by their banker. There are usually photo spreads and big awards luncheons. My feeling is that once you reach a certain level in your career you are expected to be visible and represent your brand. However, I agree that you should be cautious about guarding your personal information and relationships. If you serve in a leadership capacity within your bank your picture is going to be on the social media accounts run by the bank.

#2198636 - 11/19/18 04:22 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
At after hour business functions, I normally request attendees (employees) refrain from videos and photos except in designated areas- such as a selfie booth or station. I actually print this on the program. We have several employees that do not want to be on social media and have expressed that to management and I respect that. The issue I have with the retreat is that I would not want the public to know that many of my employees are missing from action that day. I do see that as a security issue. I think the photos would be fun in an employee only newsletter/site, etc. Just not for the public.

#2198659 - 11/19/18 06:16 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
David - I'm not a marketing expert but as a buyer who paid a significant sum to PSP's in 2018 what you described did not impact my loyalty at all. Service providers doing a good job, staying at or under budget, and meeting their deadlines is what made me comfortable selecting them again.

#2198945 - 11/23/18 04:35 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
Have to say the two examples given do not really prove there is a real threat to employees, when you compare it to the thousands of random robberies that take place each day. Overall you are more likely to get hit by a train than kidnapped because your picture is on social media. People who live in a fancy house or drive a very expensive car are at greater risk.

Also, I agree with David about understanding marketing. Banking is all about relationship building, and building relationships is about getting to know the other person. Now is that 100% true for every customer we have? Of course not, as ACBbank pointed out ~ it's not for him. However, as with everything, majority rules.
Remember years ago when they would flash a picture of popcorn on the screen so fast you didn't see it....but in reality your mind did....MARKETING BABY!! The point of the game is you don't even know your being directed down a certain path.

(pause for people to freak out.....)

Many people like to do business with companies that treat their employees well. Showing employees together, enjoying each other and being happy is one way to show this to the world. Yes, there are again going to be the naysayers (my husband works for the state and if I had a $1 for every time someone says "I pay your salary, therefor blah blah blah..." I would be retired!) But again, most (rational!!) people don't react that way, unless of course the event includes stupid behavior like private jets and fancy hotels.

#2199032 - 11/26/18 07:10 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
And in this day and age of a cell phone in every person's hand, I recognize there's no way to truly prohibit pictures being taken without my permission or even knowledge. But the OP was talking about using images for marketing purposes. Much like I chose to not wear clothes with company names emblazoned on them, it's my option to chose if I want my picture in bank marketing. I don't need to have a reason. I can just say no. Thinking about the OP's question further, if the retreat is mandatory, then I'd say no to encouraging selfies. Have the pros inform the group when they're going to be taking photos and give those that choose not to be in them the opportunity to move out of the picture. If the event is otional, then make sure everyone knows the photo plans before they sign up to attend.

#2199195 - 11/27/18 08:33 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

#2199209 - 11/27/18 08:52 PM Re: Photo release Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I agree with Randy, conceptually, but from a strictly pragmatic perspective I agree with David. I agree that posting this type of stuff on SM makes it readily accessible to the bad-guys, but what percentage of those employees already have a profile on Linkedin or FB (that identifies their employer)? Give me any random person's name, general region, and I can likely find their home address and employer.

The concept of having employees sign waivers, then selectively going and placing a blur on their face is an exercise in futility. I sign a waiver for my kid to not be featured on his school's SM account, but inevitably they ends up in the background somewhere. I think "tagging" users is a step too far, but monitoring backgrounds and who's who is never going to work. It's all out there. If a bad guy wants to kidnap someone, they can find the information without your help.

CRCM

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale