Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2199781 - 12/04/18 06:12 PM Teller line
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
Greetings-

I just started a new job as a teller at a new financial institution.

At my previous job, only tellers (and a limited amount of management staff, including the IT Department) were allowed behind the teller line. There was a door on the teller line, with FOB access.

At my new employer, everyone and their sister has access. The first problem being is there is no door that separates the teller line from the employee only area. So every employee does have access, simply because there isn't a door to prevent them coming back behind the line.

There are 5 tellers working a normal day shift. Last week I counted 12 (TWELVE) employees behind the line. Some that were just "hanging out". Some that came back looking for teller candy. Clearly these folks have no REAL reason behind the line.

I'd like to bring this up to my superiors but am questioning sticking my neck out, because I'm still so new. We use PODS, so we don't have teller cash drawers, but there certainly are still items (like Money Orders, Cashier's Check stock, etc) that make me nervous having others around.

Is this common practice? Or can you help me think of solid reasons why only certain employees should have access to the teller area? I've mentioned this on the sly to my coworkers, and their response is that "there are cameras". Cameras or not, it's a circus back here, and just am not comfortable with so many people in "my space". It's not like I'm just hanging out in their offices.

HELP!

Return to Top
#2199808 - 12/04/18 07:37 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Many times at larger institutions the roles are very divided and specific but in community banks those lines tend to blur much more. It is also not uncommon for the branch manager or operations to spend time there observing, training or greeting customers. Some banks have more social cultures than others which can lead to having others mixing with the tellers. There is no requirement for the tellers to be separate or to have a door separating them from the rest of the bank. If you start noticing your money is not balancing, then would be an appropriate time to bring it up with management.

Return to Top
#2199962 - 12/06/18 03:08 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
It was very common at my banks to have anyone and everyone (employees) behind the teller line for all kinds of reasons, work related and non work related.

Return to Top
#2200283 - 12/10/18 10:11 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
GoneToTexas Offline
100 Club
Texas
Many banks, mine included, have teller areas that are much more open than they used to be. Our tellers are also stationed at teller pods. Employees and customers as well can wander around wherever they wish! It's a bit disconcerting at first, but you'll eventually get used to it.

We do NOT have supplies of money orders or other such items where they can be accessed. They are locked in a drawer with limited access.

If I were management, I'd be concerned that there were employees who had nothing better to do than "hang out" behind the tellers, or anywhere else for that matter.

Return to Top
#2200310 - 12/11/18 01:58 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
regardless of what other banks are doing, you should bring your concerns to your supervisor..."being new" is never a reason not to bring up concerns...in fact, it is a better reason to bring them up, news eyes and all that...

Return to Top
#2200884 - 12/17/18 06:01 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

One month in and I don't feel like my puzzle piece fits the big picture.

Another thing I have noticed around here, especially in the midst of a Midwest winter, is that customers are not asked to remove their hoods and sunglasses when they walk in the branch. It makes me a little nervous; coming from a bank where we had signs when you walked in the door that we clearly want to see your face.

Let's see how long I last.....

Return to Top
#2200892 - 12/17/18 06:32 PM Re: Teller line missmarybrewster
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
MMB, keep thinking and comparing. That's what management material is made of. The size and location have a lot to do with procedures. Keep a list of things that are a concern. Wait 6 months and take a look again. Maybe some might not be so great then.

As a banker, I feared the new examiners the most. Referred to many as "loose cannons" - everything was huge and will bring the bank down. After a couple of years, they found that the banks still existed, were profitable, and served the community.

As an examiner, I learned that a community bank and urban bank were 2 distinct creatures. While examining a community bank, the "Cashier" (title out of the past) took out an application, approved it and had it on his desk. A customer walked in and said he needed a loan for a new truck. The Cashier slid the application across and asked him to fill out what he needed. Fifteen minutes later, the person left with a check. No phone calls or credit reports.

I asked about all the additional information, and the Cashier explained that it wasn't necessary - they grew up together, they went to the same church, kids same school and baseball teams, customer had loans and all were paid like clockwork, and he was part owner and worked across the street in the diner we had lunch at. He knew that the customer would be needing a loan because there were a lot of checks to the local garage, and the kids were out of school the day before looking at cars in a nearby town. There was no way they would lose. That would never happen in an urban bank.

It is different - enjoy yourself.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G