Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2200969 - 12/18/18 05:06 PM BSA Staffing
Secret Squirrel Offline
Is there any guidance/reference to the appropriate staffing you should have for BSA/AML

In todays FinCEN Assessment of AML failurs for UBS they mentioned they failed to provide sufficient resources and inadequate staffing.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2200970 - 12/18/18 05:12 PM Re: BSA Staffing Secret Squirrel
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I think it depends on many factors such as size, complexity, risk profile, ect. That said, I recently heard someone say the magic number is 1.7 BSA employees per 1 billion in assets - which doesn't sound terrible for an average FI without an extreme risk profile (again - it all depends...).

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2200977 - 12/18/18 06:25 PM Re: BSA Staffing Adam Witmer
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By Adam Witmer
I think it depends on many factors such as size, complexity, risk profile, ect. That said, I recently heard someone say the magic number is 1.7 BSA employees per 1 billion in assets - which doesn't sound terrible for an average FI without an extreme risk profile (again - it all depends...).

if i were to present this to our senior management, they would probably want to negotiate down to 1.6392839 BSA employee for each 1 billion in assets

Return to Top
#2200980 - 12/18/18 06:28 PM Re: BSA Staffing Secret Squirrel
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"That said, I recently heard someone say the magic number is 1.7 BSA employees per 1 billion in assets."

There is no magic number - I have been in banks that were $.5B that had 4 staff and they were barely keeping their head above water. It is all a matter of your risk profile. Like snowflakes - no two banks are the same.

Return to Top
#2200996 - 12/18/18 07:00 PM Re: BSA Staffing Secret Squirrel
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Who you calling a snowflake Randy? wink

Return to Top
#2201007 - 12/18/18 07:13 PM Re: BSA Staffing RockChucker, CAMS
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By RockChucker, CAMS
Who you calling a snowflake Randy? wink

laugh

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2201100 - 12/19/18 04:41 PM Re: BSA Staffing Secret Squirrel
AMLMGR Offline
You should really base your staffing and assessment of it on whether or not you are completing your work timely in regards to your SLA's. I've never heard my employer or regulator compare our staff size to our assets, but that's a good benchmark to start with if you don't have one. I agree with Adam that risk plays a part in this as well and again, it's risk related to your timeliness of reviewing and addressing the work/input your team is responsible for. Hope that helps!

Return to Top
#2201267 - 12/20/18 06:59 PM Re: BSA Staffing Secret Squirrel
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Secret when I joined my shop they had a regulatory finding for staffing. We hired a firm to complete a staffing analysis which supported our decision to hire X number of resources. PM me if you would like their contact information.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z