Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2201493 - 12/27/18 12:02 AM How do I approach this?
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
Working in a teller position; bank hours in the drive thru are until 5:30pm.

We've been told that we are done for the day once the drive thru is closed, and all of our work is complete. On average, it takes about 10 minutes. So at the latest, we're done by 6pm.

IN THEORY.

Since we are the "closers", we have to wait for everyone to leave the bank. There is one retail employee that CONTINUAUALLY makes us wait for them to leave. He has been talked to several times by management, yet, here I am at work, at 6:01pm, and he's no where near ready to go home.

Return to Top
#2201494 - 12/27/18 12:51 AM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
If discussions with management isn't solving the problem you may need to go to HR. Not only is this rude and inconsiderate but he should be costing the bank money since you are entitled to be paid for every minute you are required to be there (I am assuming you are an hourly employee). If that additional time results in overtime, you should be compensated for that too, which HR will want to know about and address.

Return to Top
#2201502 - 12/27/18 02:08 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
Are they still with a customer? Or just dragging their feet? Is this someone on the desk? Or another teller? If it is someone on the desk, does the lobby also close at 5:30?

I would say if they are just dragging their feet, personally, I would have a conversation with them about it before going to HR. Let them know that you have things to do after work, and they are holding you, and the rest of your day, up.

Return to Top
#2201503 - 12/27/18 02:10 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
where is management at 6:01 PM? Already gone? perhaps a word of warning to the offender that "we are wrapping up and will be leaving in X minutes"? Have retail designate other "closers" that have to stay with said employee so you can leave when your job is completed.

Return to Top
#2201507 - 12/27/18 03:44 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
Hi all; yes, I am an hourly employee. So yes, I end up with at least an hour of overtime (if not more) each week.
Generally speaking, 9 times out of 10, this person (a personal banker) is NOT with a customer.
The lobby closes at 5pm, the drive-thru at 5:30pm. This gives them at least a half hour to "wrap things up".
Management is LONG GONE by 6:01pm; usually out the door at 5:01pm.
We do let this person know, every day at 5:30pm, that we're closed and balancing. Their response is usually "I just need a few minutes". Well, a few minutes is either 5 or 50.

Thank you all for at least letting me vent. It's frustrating because I never know when I'll be home, and it's nearly impossible to make "dinner plans". Sometimes I am out of here at 5:45pm. Sometimes it's 6pm. Once it was almost 7pm. It's ridiculous.

Return to Top
#2201508 - 12/27/18 03:54 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
I've been on both sides in my previous life as both a closing drive thru teller and a closing personal banker. We closed the lobby at 5:00 and the drive thru at 6:00. Never had a problem in either role. I can tell you as a personal banker, I was packed up and ready to go at 5:01. What is this person doing that requires them so much time to get ready to leave?

Return to Top
#2201533 - 12/27/18 06:18 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
If management won't address the issue, take the issue to HR. The only thing is, if its a job performance issue, your manager may not be telling you anything because maybe that employee is on a performance improvement plan. The employee is costing the bank money, maybe he is trying to squeeze out extra pay by staying longer intentionally.

Return to Top
#2201549 - 12/27/18 07:04 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
"hey Mr. Banker, i hate to be the bad guy but we need to leave now because i have to get my kid/dog/mom/pick something picked up in 10 minutes or i have to pay extra, and unless you want to give me the $20 it will cost, lets go."

then head to the exit and start setting the alarm. he wants to be a jerk, be a bigger one, but just be professional when doing it.
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 12/27/18 07:04 PM.

Return to Top
#2201560 - 12/27/18 07:34 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
So here's the Catch 22.....isn't there always one?

As a teller, I am a Union employee. The banker is not.

So I don't have an HR person to speak with, only a Union Rep to file a grievance.

I have however spoken with my manager (also NOT union) and he said he'd take care of it. He hasn't.

I don't want to be DRAMATIC and file a grievance on this person, but at the same time, I want to eat dinner before 7pm.

I wouldn't mind it if it was occasionally. But it's literally 3-4 times a week. I have even suggested he have his own alarm code so he can leave at 10pm if he likes. But of course that "dual control" thing.

Return to Top
#2201566 - 12/27/18 08:09 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Why not just talk to this person and explain your concerns about getting home at a decent time. Also, ask if there's something you can do to help him/her expedite their closing. Maybe they need trained. Maybe they have a tough time balancing their drawer. Maybe there's something you don't understand but if you'd simply ask, you'd find out a way to solve it. You're a Team.

Return to Top
#2201585 - 12/27/18 10:11 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
If everything else fails, and you feel he is there because he's lonely, or has nothing else to do that night (rather than actual work), be a pain in the _____. Pull up a chair as close as you can and just state at him, telling him every 5 minutes that you have to be out of there, tapping a pencil on his desk.

Return to Top
#2201586 - 12/27/18 10:12 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
if you're a union member, can't you just get a couple of your union cohorts and break the clowns legs and end all this?

we have no banking union where i am , so i have no idea where you need to go...sounds like you know but you don't want to pull the trigger...

1 - file grievance
2 - don't file grievance

Return to Top
#2201587 - 12/27/18 10:24 PM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I assume you are closing with another teller - just tell him when you are leaving in 10 minutes and then you are setting the alarm and locking the doors. If he remains inside, he can call management to come let him out. That gives him 10 minutes to shove everything a drawer and get out.

Return to Top
#2203086 - 01/16/19 01:17 AM Re: How do I approach this? missmarybrewster
Hawk Offline
Hi, there... Im new here but I might as well make myself at home since I will be picking ya'lls brains.

This is my first post so I figure I'd start with a great thread like this.

This would annoy the heck out of me. Id tell this guy at 5 o'clock to start wrapping things up because you have to leave by 5:30 PM. I would not give him the option of holding me up. If he has a problem with it, he can take it up with management.

Also, Id complain to management not doing anything about this. You've gone about it the right way, they should take care of it.

-Cheerio

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G