Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2202317 - 01/08/19 05:12 PM Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
As it pertains to the paragraph below, does "considered it to be a cash-out refinancing IN PROCESSING the application" mean the underwriting? For example, we underwrite a cash-out refi differently than a regular refinance but the pricing/terms are the same. Does pricing have to be impacted in order to choose "Cash Out Refi" for the Purpose Code?

Section 1003.4(a)(3) - A financial institution reports a covered loan or an application as a cash-out refinancing if it is a refinancing as defined by § 1003.2(p) and the institution considered it to be a cash-out refinancing in processing the application or setting the terms (such as the interest rate or origination charges) under its guidelines or an investor's guidelines.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2202348 - 01/08/19 06:46 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Based on the commentary in the final rule I believe the intent is to use the cash-out refinancing code when the terms of the loan are different due to the fact the applicant gets cash out, so that there can be a true like-to-like comparison when looking through the fair lending lens. That being said, they did distinctly include if the loan is processed differently. I would be concerned about any overzealous examiners so if at any point during the application process you treat the cash-out refi. application differently (e.g. separate application route or purpose code) then I would err on the side of caution and report as cash-out refinance.

Return to Top
#2202535 - 01/10/19 01:36 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Carolina Blue
Cat Lover Offline
100 Club
Property free and clear, taking cash out to buyout partner. That is reported as a cash out and not a refinance since the property is owned free and clear. Correct?

Return to Top
#2202542 - 01/10/19 02:10 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Well, what is the purpose of the loan? If it is to "buyout" a domestic partner and thus consumer purpose, I would report this as an "other" purpose loan. If the purpose is to "buyout" a business partner (on maybe a duplex rental property they each have existing ownership in) and the loan has a commercial or business purpose, I would not report this as "other" purpose loans are not reported for business/commercial purpose loans.

Either way, I would not call this a cash-out refinance as the home was free and clear, meaning that the new loan is not satisfying and replacing an existing obligation.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2202583 - 01/10/19 04:40 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Adam Witmer
Cat Lover Offline
100 Club
They originally purchased the property in cash, took out a home improvement loan that is paid off property free and clear. The loan will be to pay out one of the partners and the property has already a purchase contract. The property was originally purchased to refurbish and sell so it was investments purpose. I don't have a lien, so there is no refinance and we cannot use other on business transactions (property is under an LLC).

Return to Top
#2202591 - 01/10/19 05:18 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Is the property in the name of the LLC and will remain in the name of the LLC? Or, is the ownership of the property changing?

I only ask so that we can thoroughly rule out a purchase purpose. If the ownership doesn't change, I agree that this is not reportable as it is an other purpose loan to an entity, meaning it is exempt from reporting.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2202624 - 01/10/19 07:03 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Cat Lover Offline
100 Club
The name is changing, the applicant is now using a different LLC. So it will change, so it should be purchase?

Return to Top
#2202631 - 01/10/19 07:18 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Possibly, but I need to understand what you mean by "the name is changing." If the name of the LLC is just changing (such as a DBA), but it is legally still the same entity, then it wouldn't be a purchase. If, however, a new entity (LLC) is going to take ownership from the old (and different) entity - regarless of the individuals who own the entity - then I would call this a purchase.

The challenge with small LLCs is that we often think of the owner and the LLC as one in the same, which technically isn't correct as an LLC is a separate entity. Therefore, if one LLC is taking ownership from another, I would call this a purchase.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2202632 - 01/10/19 07:21 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Depends on whether or not the transaction is facilitating the acquisition of the property from the previous LLC. Knowing that a lot of borrowers are not the sharpest Crayola's in the box, who knows what they are doing. Who is shown as the current owner versus your proposed borrower/owner in your title commitment.

Return to Top
#2202640 - 01/10/19 08:00 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Cat Lover Offline
100 Club
I'll Check, the Closing Statement shows Seller and Borrower are different.

Return to Top
#2202646 - 01/10/19 08:23 PM Re: Cash-Out Refinance - Underwriting only difference Tarhe
Cat Lover Offline
100 Club
It shows our borrower, the other entity (seller) was going to be desolved after the sale.

Return to Top