Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#2199817 - 12/04/18 08:28 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
As ACB observes, the name you give a position says very little about the extent of the duties.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2202313 - 01/08/19 05:04 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

2018 Thread reviver here, hmm, now I'm the 2019 revivier:

Originally Posted By ACBbank
As you an applicant you should know your approximate worth. Any job I've ever applied for I knew what was an acceptable range for compensation, depending on salary and the type of bonus.

Thanks for throwing out some numbers. Also wondering: ave you changed jobs or applied for a job in the past 5 years? There's this absurd attitude right now that an applicant isn't supposed to know how much a job pays until way too late in the application process, like it's some kind of state secret, when really it's essential info that would inform an applicant of whether he or she would even be interested in applying in the first place.

Also, this thread contains a dead link to a survey, here's a more recent one from the same source:

https://www.crowe.com/news/crowe-bank-compensation-and-benefits-survey-2018

#2202320 - 01/08/19 05:14 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

2019 reviver:
P.S. So, what I meant by that is, sure I can spend 5 hours trying to formulate my own guestimate as to how much I think a position is worth. Usually that must be done before applying, because so many places now require you to input a number into their online application, and their "salary requirement" field is mandatory, meaning you can't submit the application without stating a number. And when one app let me put in $1 one time, they just called me and asked me verbally for the figure, and wouldn't schedule a meeting without hearing the figure first. A friend on the inside had warned me that their shop routinely threw out apps where the number was too high. But rather than just telling applicants what it pays, they make you fill out a one-hour application form online, and take a test, then name your salary requirement, just so they can glance at the salary number you stated and toss your application to the side. That's the job market these days, from my perspective as a qualified applicant with a high salary expectation.

But when a position is being posted, the onus of disclosing the one single most basic and fundamental incentive for applying - salary - should be on the company posting the listing, not on the numerous individuals interested in applying.

#2202338 - 01/08/19 06:19 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By 2019 reviewer
...from my perspective as a qualified applicant with a high salary expectation

Perhaps you would be better served utilizing a qualified headhunter who can cut through all of that from the start and then link you with well matched employers. It doesn't sound like your current practice of wandering from one job opening page to another is suiting you well.

#2202342 - 01/08/19 06:35 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
There are plenty on linked in btw.

#2202352 - 01/08/19 06:55 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Excluding my current role, I've switched jobs every 2 - 3 years mostly for a significant increase in compensation. I take a great interest in my career and I network with many different agencies, look up salaries on Glassdoor, and talk with some trusted colleagues about the various financial packages being offered in the market place. I also research the potential employer to see if they have regulatory issues as I know from past experience that makes the role significantly more challenging.

TBH I look at it very differently than you 2019 Reviver. As a hirer/buyer it's my job to get the best deal for my company. As an applicant, you need to do the same for yourself. As JJ stated, a trusted head hunter can provide a solid foundation of what's out there in your area.

#2202356 - 01/08/19 07:36 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i have never refused to interview a candidate solely on the salary they are asking for, and if you are highly qualified as you state, perhaps you are being denied interviews as you are applying for positions that are more entry level than upper tier. or your qualifications are not in line with what they are expecting. are you assuming your salary is what is keeping you from getting an interview, or have you specifically been told that? because in the job market today, regardless of why they don't want to interview you, my experience is you just don't get a call, period. they don't call and say "sorry, salary too high, we are not interested."

headhunter is a good option, as JJ noted.

of course, the annual revival of this thread may actually one day work in your favor grin

#2202365 - 01/08/19 08:16 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Really thought this horse was dead in 2018.

CRCM

#2202370 - 01/08/19 08:52 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i'm making a note to look for it again in 2020...

#2202452 - 01/09/19 05:45 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By Happy Gilmore
are you assuming your salary is what is keeping you from getting an interview, or have you specifically been told that?

That was addressed in my previous post:

Originally Posted By Anonymous
2019 reviver:
...when one app let me put in $1 one time, they just called me and asked me verbally for the figure, and wouldn't schedule a meeting without hearing the figure first. A friend on the inside had warned me that their shop routinely threw out apps where the number was too high. But rather than just telling applicants what it pays, they make you...name your salary requirement, just so they can glance at the salary number you stated and toss your application to the side.

It was just one time for me, where I was told that if your figure is too high, they shred the application. Plus my friend just had the experience of a bank withholding salary info until after the interview, then when they called him for a second interview, he asked if that meant the salary figure he named was being considered or had been accepted, they were shocked and offended, and the second interview didn't happen, all because he dared to confirm the salary was even within his range of numbers he might possibly accept.

Thanks for the rest of your post Hap - you were helpful, as always.

For those of you here who have posted complaints in this thread, I just want to say that I find it harmful and troll-like for frequent posters to chime in with meta commentary (complaining that a thread was revived, rather than answering or saying something relevant), or with criticisms of the people who post questions in these forums, and general chit-chat like that which is off-topic and an attempt to hijack or derail the Q&A process for people who are honestly just seeking help. If this was reddit or almost any forum other than BOL, that sort of negative "comment" and bullying, unhelpful behavior would have resulted in the poster being banned from the forum. Just sayin'.

#2202482 - 01/09/19 08:04 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I don't see any bullying in this thread nor do I see any hijacking attempts. Threads do sometimes have this type of flow and I think that a number of posters offered you some sound advice.

#2202553 - 01/10/19 03:03 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer ACBbank
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you by chance a millennial? smirk

#2202554 - 01/10/19 03:04 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

(Not you ACB)

#2202707 - 01/11/19 02:43 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i believe the comments by a number of posters are that information of this nature is normally of little to no benefit because there are too many variables to consider, and without knowing very many specifics about the poster (location, experience, background, education, bank size, target bank size, current salary, hopeful salary, size of bank(s), number of staff, specific job duties, corporate and officer title, just to name a few), then the answer really does not provide anything. I certainly did not see anything that was troll like, nor any attempt to hijack the thread.

What i did see was several versions of the straight answer that nothing you will get here is likely to be of value for this type of a question. Since it appears you want someone to give you an answer that agrees with or validates your summation, counter responses appears to have made you decide you were being trolled, which i don't believe is happening.

For examples of trolling on BOL, see the "nfl cheaters" thread in the watercooler.

#2202751 - 01/11/19 05:09 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer HappyGilmore
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
i believe the comments by a number of posters are that information of this nature is normally of little to no benefit because there are too many variables to consider, and without knowing very many specifics about the poster (location, experience, background, education, bank size, target bank size, current salary, hopeful salary, size of bank(s), number of staff, specific job duties, corporate and officer title, just to name a few), then the answer really does not provide anything. I certainly did not see anything that was troll like, nor any attempt to hijack the thread.

What i did see was several versions of the straight answer that nothing you will get here is likely to be of value for this type of a question. Since it appears you want someone to give you an answer that agrees with or validates your summation, counter responses appears to have made you decide you were being trolled, which i don't believe is happening.

For examples of trolling on BOL, see the "nfl cheaters" thread in the watercooler.
^
This

#2203951 - 01/24/19 11:03 PM Re: Pay scale for BSA Officer P*Q
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
For those that have not had to reenter the job search arena recently, it is a difficult situation. I agree with the millenials frustration about providing a salary. A few years ago when my bank was purchased, I did the "dance' with a recruiter and we eventually agreed to meet in the middle. Well, apparently she did not know how to divide by two. This baby boomer was surprised to find out when I started that I was $3000 short on my starting salary. I understood then why I never received a written offer. My fault for not getting that. Long story shortened, I found out the recruiter did this to two other new hires like myself. I understand trying to get salary information. Information is knowledge, knowledge provides power. It is tough to be on the job seeking side of things. Glad I found a great position at a great bank far away from the bank that took me for $3000.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale