Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2194458 - 10/02/18 04:56 PM Satisfaction of Lien
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Can someone tell me/show me what the timing requirements are to process a release of lien on collateral covered by a Certificate of Title? 10 days? 7 days? 10 Business days? 7 Business days? TIA.

Return to Top
#2196878 - 10/30/18 09:06 PM Re: Satisfaction of Lien HRH Okie Banker
Brightside3277 Offline
Oklahoma
There was a new state law amendment that requires the secured party to release its security interest within 7 business days of satisfaction of the underlying debt, and either furnish or directly mail the release to the OTC and mail a copy to the last-known address of the debtor within that time period.

Effective 11/1/2015 the failure to furnish the release as required will still make the secured party liable to the debtor for a penalty of $100.00, BUT if written demand for release is received by the lienholder thereafter, the penalty shall increase to $100.00 per day for each additional business day not to exceed the lesser of $1,500.00 or the value of the vehicle plus any loss caused to the debtor for such failure. The higher penalty only applies when you have a written demand letter.

As a reminder, in the state of Oklahoma, a debtor only has 25 days to perfect a lien. If the borrower declares bankruptcy on the 26th day, the courts can declare the lien invalid. Bankruptcy law states 30 days, but remember, Oklahoma law says 25.

Return to Top
#2197334 - 11/05/18 06:46 PM Re: Satisfaction of Lien HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Return to Top
#2202798 - 01/11/19 10:18 PM Re: Satisfaction of Lien HRH Okie Banker
Brightside3277 Offline
Oklahoma
You are welcome! Paulie Loeffler had supplied that in an OBA Legal Briefs. Not sure if you are a member of the OBA, but they put out monthly Legal Briefs that have a lot of good information that is specific to Oklahoma. Paulie writes for it, and she is a wealth of knowledge

Return to Top