Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2202995 - 01/15/19 03:41 PM Government Shutdown
WABComply Offline
100 Club
Good morning all. I am looking to see what my peers are doing. I do not know if this the correct category or if it should be under Ability to Repay.

We have an applicant looking to close on a mortgage loan. The loan is to a federal employee I do not know what type of it it matters. They are currently not working or getting paid because of the shutdown. We also can't get a VVOE from what I am told by the UW. They were want to close this week. The only guidance I have seen is that the agencies want us to work with customers but nothing about "new customers".

Please advise on what you would do in this situation. Unfortunately I am leaning on not closing until the gov't reopens. Let me know Thanks.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2202998 - 01/15/19 04:00 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Consider all consumers to be "customers"...some just don't know it yet! grin

The spirit of the guidance is to do your best to look through this temporary distortion in your customers' circumstances and focus on the other end of the tunnel. They will all go back to work eventually, and past experience tells us Uncle Sam will probably give them full back-pay. Some of these furloughed govt. employees will actually improve their finances as a result of the "shutdown." They'll be able to double dip If they have a second job and can increase hours.

Return to Top
#2203041 - 01/15/19 06:34 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The current shutdown is unlike any we have seen before, both in its duration and in the vehement stubbornness asinine pig-headedness of the opposing sides over a single issue (although I agree more with one side than with the other). Given the "NEVER" statements from both ends of the continuum in this impasse, "eventually" may be a lot farther away than any of us will want to contemplate.
Last edited by John Burnett; 01/16/19 07:56 PM. Reason: A tad more forceful
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2203068 - 01/15/19 09:36 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Sigh..... government.

PS John I am eventually going to steal your "Professional Compliance Nerd" signature.. although the years are going to be a lot less smile

Return to Top
#2203172 - 01/16/19 07:57 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
PPS, Darth, I am not so pigheaded as to deny you the pleasure.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2203182 - 01/16/19 08:22 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
GrBo1006 Offline
100 Club
I'd like to hear feedback from other servicers on this matter. In theory, nobody has even rolled 30 days delinquent yet. Its not like you get our home foreclosed on at 30 days anyways. The various agencies have such strict letter requirements surrounding delinquency, it should seem impossible for a borrower not to reach out. We plan to service as normal, but almost daily guidance is being released to "strongly" encourage a servicer to suppress credit reporting to government workers. How is that any different in the eyes of UDAAP to any unemployed borrower? Its just a slippery slope...

Return to Top
#2203789 - 01/24/19 12:08 AM Re: Government Shutdown GrBo1006
Saintsfan Offline
What is everyone doing to assist customers affected by the Govt. Shutdown?

Return to Top
#2203807 - 01/24/19 01:39 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Most are following this lead and that of the GSE's on mortgage loans.

https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/press/2019/pr19002.html

Loan extensions, short term low-rate unsecured loans, etc.

https://www.usbank.com/newsroom/news/us-...t-shutdown.html

Return to Top
#2203970 - 01/25/19 01:44 PM Re: Government Shutdown WABComply
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
We are doing 90 day principal payment deferments for existing and have just set up a new consumer loan program for small unsecured loans with a 90 day first payment deferral.

We're just trying to help and take some of the stress off of these unfortunate victims of what John B. said!

Return to Top