Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2203333 - 01/17/19 09:02 PM Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance?
Jesenia - Compliance Offline
The Original / Initial Loan Estimate was disclosed showing 2% transfer tax:1% paid by the Seller, and 1% paid by buyer. We were just told, by the attorney, that since this is an estate transfer of ownership, the transfer tax is exempted and asked us to disclose. Since this is new information, would it qualify as a changed circumstance? The transfer tax is zero % tolerance.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2203335 - 01/17/19 09:08 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So you are saying that there is not going to be a transfer tax at all? Then what difference does it make? A changed circumstance only happens when fees are going up and not down. You are more than free to issue an informational LE without the transfer taxes.

Return to Top
#2203368 - 01/18/19 03:26 AM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? rlcarey
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
A changed circumstance only happens when fees are going up and not down.
wait...what??? Got a citation to back that up, Randy, because it's news to me.

Return to Top
#2203372 - 01/18/19 12:35 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
19(e)(3)(iv)(A) Changed circumstance affecting settlement charges. Changed circumstances cause the estimated charges to increase or, in the case of estimated charges identified in paragraph (e)(3)(ii) of this section, cause the aggregate amount of such charges to increase by more than 10 percent. For purposes of this paragraph, “changed circumstance” means:
Last edited by rlcarey; 01/18/19 12:36 PM.

Return to Top
#2203380 - 01/18/19 02:18 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It's always been that way...an actual CC has never consisted of decreases. If you have time on your hands and just want to issue an info LE, knock yourself out...otherwise just leave it off the CD. No harm, no foul.
Last edited by RR Joker; 01/18/19 02:19 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2203404 - 01/18/19 04:01 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm not denying when you need to redisclose. Rather I'm taking issue with the statement that a changed cirucmstance only occurs when fees increase. The validity of something being a changed circumstance is not dependant on whether or not the occurance changes a fee. The prime example of this is the rate lock.

Return to Top
#2203453 - 01/18/19 06:04 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
A changed circumstance is specifically defined by the regulation and a decrease in fees is not part of that definition.

Any revised LE issued due to a decrease in fees is simply an informational LE and it does not reset any tolerance levels. Even a decrease in fees due to a borrower requested change is not a changed circumstance under the regulation.

(C) Revisions requested by the consumer. The consumer requests revisions to the credit terms or the settlement that cause an estimated charge to increase.

Return to Top
#2203456 - 01/18/19 06:16 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, that is a separate issue. If the loan was not previously locked, then you are required to issue another LE - regardless if anything has changed or you have a violation. If you have a changed circumstance, issuing a revised LE is optional. It is only if you want to reset your tolerance baselines.

Return to Top
#2203770 - 01/23/19 10:03 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There are three things that are changed circumstances, listed in 1026.19(e)(3)(iv)(A):

(1) An extraordinary event beyond the control of any interested party or other unexpected event specific to the consumer or transaction;

(2) Information specific to the consumer or transaction that the creditor relied upon when providing the disclosures required under paragraph (e)(1)(i) of this section and that was inaccurate or changed after the disclosures were provided; or

(3) New information specific to the consumer or transaction that the creditor did not rely on when providing the original disclosures required under paragraph (e)(1)(i) of this section.

Note that none of them has to change a closing cost to be a changed circumstance. However, the only reason you need to know what they are is to recognize when they can affect (adversely to the consumer) a closing charge.

If one of those changed circumstances results in an increase to closing costs, or if the consumer requests a change that increases closing costs, or if the consumer's intent to proceed is received after the stated expiration of the loan estimate terms (which must be at least 10 days after they are provided), a revised LE can be provided within 3 business days to reflect new current info and reset the cost basis for the directly affected costs.

And just because it bugs me, it's a changed circumstance, not a change of circumstances.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2203775 - 01/23/19 10:19 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
"And just because it bugs me, it's a changed circumstance, not a change of circumstances."

Glad i'm not the only one.....it's also not a "change IN circumstance".

Return to Top
#2203801 - 01/24/19 01:10 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
You guys (John & raitchjay) are cracking me up on your semantics regarding "changed circumstance." laugh

For the record, the 12/31/2013 TRID final rule does use "change in circumstances" a couple of times and the 2017 amendments uses the phrase "change of circumstance," even though neither term is used in the actual reg or commentary. So, if we are getting technical, the CFPB apparently recognizes those phrases. wink

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2203819 - 01/24/19 02:38 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ok...let me rephrase then........the term "change in circumstance" doesn't agree with me. I like plain old "changed circumstance". smile

Return to Top
#2203846 - 01/24/19 04:24 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
And ALL of you are cracking me up, because only truly deeply nerdy compliance geeks would ever have this conversation, much less find it entertaining! (and yes, I'm including myself in the population...)

smile

Return to Top
#2203851 - 01/24/19 04:32 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
laugh true

Return to Top
#2203853 - 01/24/19 04:48 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? mtngrrl
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By mtngrrl
only truly deeply nerdy compliance geeks...)

I find this to be a politically correct statement. wink

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2203857 - 01/24/19 04:52 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? John Burnett
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
And while I enjoy the semantics of this, (it's a 'valid CC' to me) I need to take the time to thank John for proving my point.
Quote:
Note that none of them has to change a closing cost to be a changed circumstance.

Return to Top
#2203863 - 01/24/19 05:15 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I've used COC from day one of it being a 'thing' before TRID ever even happened.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2206521 - 02/19/19 09:55 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
julesbok Offline
OK
We have a twist on the situation that started this string - we just found out this morning from the title company that the buyer is responsible for the documentary stamps (normally paid by the seller in OK, so they were not disclosed on the LE) on the purchase of an ORE property from FNMA. Our CloD needs to go out today in order to close by this Friday - 2/22 due to right of rescission on their current residence also being pledged on the loan (this is a bridge loan)…closing on the purchase is scheduled for 2/28.

The Seller is providing a $9,500 credit towards all closing costs, so the doc stamps will be covered, as the total closing costs come in less than the Seller Credit listed in Section L on page 3.

The question is, because the Documentary Stamp figure is being shown in the Buyer column on the CloD, do we also need to show a Lender Credit - no time to issue a Changed Circumstance LE and send out a revised CloD tomorrow, since it was not disclosed on the LE?

Return to Top
#2206522 - 02/19/19 09:58 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If this is a changed circumstance you can document that on the initial CD if you are within 4 business days of closing. You don't have to do it on an LE.

Return to Top
#2206524 - 02/19/19 09:59 PM Re: Transfer Tax - Changed Circumstance? Jesenia - Compliance
julesbok Offline
OK
Oh good! Thanks so much for the quick response Randy! I really appreciate it!

Return to Top