Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#22038 - 06/26/02 08:45 PM Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
A previous discussion surrounded placing holds (or not) on credit card checks taken for deposit. My question is this: Do any of you call for verification/authorization to the credit card company before doing the transaction?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#22039 - 06/26/02 08:48 PM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you call, if you talk to someone, will they guarantee the check will pay? I'm not sure the call would do a lot of good since other charges may precede the cash advance check and these seem to go through a slower processing channel.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#22040 - 06/26/02 09:33 PM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Good question. Seems that years ago, one could contact the company and get an authorization just as one would with a credit card cash advance. I'm not sure, any more, if these checks are treated the same way. Last I knew, they were. Wonder if that would ensure the check paid?

Return to Top
#22041 - 06/26/02 10:47 PM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
Back in the day, when I was a teller, yes, you called to get an authorization number. My head teller tells me this is not the way it is anymore. She attempts to verify cc checks, but when she finally gets to a real person, the real person tells her that she cannot verify funds, or available credit. There is no way to verify funds that we know of. Living in a college town, we get a ton of em!

Return to Top
#22042 - 06/27/02 04:37 PM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

And remember they have to be treated like any other check. A hold can't be placed "just because" it's a credit card check.

Return to Top
#22043 - 06/28/02 12:48 AM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
And lest we repeat an already oft repeated thread here, for more detailed information about credit card checks, here are two very detailed discussions that occurred here within the last 6 months:

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Return to Top
#22044 - 06/28/02 06:13 PM Re: Authorization on Credit Card Checks?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Thanks, Jim - I had found the prior discussions and just wondered if calling for an authorization was still an option, or something practiced in the field.

Return to Top