Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2204269 - 01/29/19 04:56 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) newyork
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Said another way...

1003.4(e) says that Banks and savings associations that are required to report [CRA] data on small business, small farm, and community development lending under regulations that implement the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (12 U.S.C. 2901 et seq.) shall also collect the information required by paragraph 4(a)(9) of this section for property located outside MSAs and MDs in which the institution has a home or branch office, or outside any MSA.

If a bank is a large CRA reporter, 1003.4(e) of Regulation C says that they must provide BOTH the property address and property location (geocoding), where the property location (geocoding) is otherwise optional if the property is located outside MSAs/MDs where they have a branch. This rule in 1003.4(e) of Regulation C essentially overrides the optional reporting in 1003.4(a) as well as the CFPB interpretive and procedural rules.

The bottom line is that 1003.4(e) says that large CRA reporters must "collect the information required by paragraph 4(a)(9)", which includes both the property address/4(a)(9)(i) and the property location 4(a)(9)(ii).

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2205272 - 02/06/19 09:12 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) Adam Witmer
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
As a small filer, can we voluntarily report the state, county and census tract on each LAR entry instead of just those within our MSA?

Return to Top
#2205275 - 02/06/19 09:22 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) newyork
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Paragraph 4(a)(9)(ii)

1. Optional reporting. Section 1003.4(a)(9)(ii) requires a financial institution to report the State, county, and census tract of the property securing the covered loan or, in the case of an application, proposed to secure the covered loan if the property is located in an MSA or MD in which the financial institution has a home or branch office or if the institution is subject to § 1003.4(e). Section 1003.4(a)(9)(ii)(C) further limits the requirement to report census tract to covered loans secured by or applications proposed to be secured by properties located in counties with a population of more than 30,000 according to the most recent decennial census conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. For transactions for which State, county, or census tract reporting is not required under § 1003.4(a)(9)(ii) or (e), financial institutions may report that the requirement is not applicable, or they may voluntarily report the State, county, or census tract information.

Return to Top
#2205283 - 02/06/19 09:30 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) Dan Persfull
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
So if we report those three fields on all entries, are we still exempt from reporting the street address, city, and zip code?

Return to Top
#2205294 - 02/06/19 10:58 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) newyork
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
It's my understanding that if you report any of the 4 property location items (for property outside of your MSA), you must report all 4 (street address, city, zip, and state).

Return to Top
#2205309 - 02/07/19 01:02 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) joeball
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By joeball
So if we report those three fields on all entries, are we still exempt from reporting the street address, city, and zip code?

Yes, you would still be exempt from reporting the street address, city, and zip code (which are 3 of the 4 fields in the property address data point). Listing all three property location data fields (including state) does not automatically void your exemption for the 3 other property address fields. This explanation comes from the Validity Edit V-709 from the FIG:

"1) If Street Address, City, or Zip Code is reported Exempt, then all three must be reported Exempt."

As you can see, this edit is not triggered if you list the state, which is (also) part of the property location data point.

That said, your HMDA software may take a more conservative approach and require reporting for all property address fields, but I don't see that as a requirement based on V-709.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2205317 - 02/07/19 02:03 PM Re: Small Filer Exemption (state) newyork
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Thanks for correcting this Adam. I misunderstood the question and provided inaccurate info. I tried editing/deleting my last post, but it won't allow me. I wanted to remove it so it didn't confuse anyone.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2