Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#22045 - 06/26/02 10:01 PM CardCops
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This site, http://www.cardcops.com/ is getting great press as you can enter your credit card number (sans expiration date) into their secured site and see if yours is in a database of numbers that have been compromised.

The site is down now due to traffic resulting from the press. So long as the numbers entered are secured and not retained, this site has promise. It looks as though this anti-fraud group will also have some good links.

They already did some good alerting authorities to credit card theft.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#22046 - 06/26/02 10:16 PM Re: CardCops
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
WOW!!! What a great site to spoof! Imagine how many million card numbers you'd get before anyone realized you are a fraud. (I wonder if it's called identity 'theft' if you throw your card number at a scammer?)

Return to Top
#22047 - 06/27/02 05:35 PM Re: CardCops
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Richard- That's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, Modern Humorist produced a mock spoof of this kind last year (no, it didn't actually work.)

Return to Top
#22048 - 07/01/02 04:10 PM Re: CardCops
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you were to give ONLY your credit card number and nothing else there isn't anything that can be done with it.

Return to Top
#22049 - 07/01/02 04:26 PM Re: CardCops
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Dear Anonymous,

If you would provide me ONLY your credit card number and nothing else and if I was so inclined (but of course I take my role as a member society very seriously) you might be surprised on your next credit card statement.

Return to Top
#22050 - 07/01/02 09:21 PM Re: CardCops
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The combinations of expiration dates over the next four years is a pretty small sample to play with. Only have to try 48 times to steal from me before you succeed, if you have my card number.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#22051 - 07/02/02 12:52 AM Re: CardCops
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Knowing that card issuers often reissue cards a few months B4 the current expiration date further reduces the universe.

Return to Top
#22052 - 07/18/02 01:39 PM Re: CardCops
mmason Offline
Gold Star
New England
I heard about a case just yesterday where a customers card was hit for $7000 in one day w/o ever losing his card. Someone got ahold of his credit card # w/o the expiration date and made a duplicate card making up an expiration date. When the thief used the card it was denied when swiped but the clerk assumed the magnetic strip was damaged so called it in and got a verbal approval because there was plenty of available balance and the card was clean. The expiration date was never an issue. He did the same thing twice in one day for $3500 each. You don't need 48 tries, just a helpful clerk.

Return to Top
#22053 - 07/19/02 01:35 AM Re: CardCops
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
And do you think the issuing bank has learned anything form this? Some better ID there, asking the clerk for card information, may have helped them out.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z