BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2205902 - 02/12/19 09:59 PM Smoky Mountains - Hiking
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
Taking the wife and kids (8,9,13) to the Smoky Mountains this summer to do some hiking and general leisure. We are not planning on going to Dollywood or any other similar attraction. Really just looking for outdoor, low cost, activities that showcase the beautiful scenery, waterfalls, etc. Anyone have a recommended trail or excursion for this area? The kids are all athletic and can probably handle a 3-4 hour hike, but that's likely the limit. We have a guidebook that seems rather informative, but are looking for other opinions as well.

Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2205936 - 02/13/19 01:06 PM Re: Smoky Mountains - Hiking SeekingKnowledge
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sounds like a wonderful trip, Seeking! LOVE the Smoky Mountains. As far as hikes are concerned, we've done Chimney Tops (very rocky and tough), Mt. Le Conte (there are three different ways to hike there), and Andrews Bald. There is a short hike to Laurel Falls, however I have never done that one. I do highly recommend going to Cades Cove (11 mile loop) early one morning to see deer, turkey and possibly a bear. They used to close (don't know if they still do) the loop at Cades Cove on Saturday mornings until about 10:00 so bikers could go for a tour and not have to worry about cars.

Are you staying in a cabin?

Return to Top
#2205950 - 02/13/19 02:18 PM Re: Smoky Mountains - Hiking SeekingKnowledge
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
google appalachian trail and it will list tons of hikes, from short day hikes to a 6-month planning guide if you want to walk from maine to georigia...

we have stayed in gatlinburg and done just about every hike in the general vicinity, other than Cade's Cove i don't recall the names of any of them. google great smoky mountains national park and under the "plan your trip" section there is a ton of info on available hikes.

Return to Top
#2206257 - 02/14/19 09:47 PM Re: Smoky Mountains - Hiking SeekingKnowledge
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
Thank you for the tips to both of you. We are looking at those hikes already, so it is nice to know others have enjoyed them. We are staying in a home we are renting through one of the rent from the owner sites. It is located southwest of Pigeon Forge and should be a great base for our daytime excursions. Thanks again!

Return to Top
#2206921 - 02/22/19 09:34 PM Re: Smoky Mountains - Hiking SeekingKnowledge
mdog76 Offline
Platinum Poster
I live in Pigeon Forge, just be ready for the traffic Seeking!

Return to Top