Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2206486 - 02/19/19 07:41 PM Bridge Loans
Believing... Offline
Gold Star
In the mountains
We have a new lender working in a new market area. He is making several interest-only bridge loans with the purpose being "refinance of current primary residence to provide cash out for purchase of new residence. This loan will pay out with the sale of the collateral. The cash out is for the down payment on the new home. Is this a reportable home purchase loan?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2206507 - 02/19/19 08:53 PM Re: Bridge Loans Believing...
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
This scenario is specifically excluded as temporary financing even though it will be paid in full:

Examples: Ficus Bank extends a bridge or swing loan to finance a borrower’s down payment for a home purchase. The borrower will pay off the bridge or swing loan with funds from the sale of his or her existing home and obtain permanent financing from Ficus Bank at that time. The bridge or swing loan is excluded as temporary financing.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2206512 - 02/19/19 09:07 PM Re: Bridge Loans Believing...
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the bridge loan will not be refinanced into longer term financing then it is not exempt from reporting. It does not meet the definition of a temporary loan.

Examples: Ficus Bank extends a bridge or swing loan to finance a borrower’s down payment for a home purchase. The borrower will pay off the bridge or swing loan with funds from the sale of his or her existing home and obtain permanent financing from Ficus Bank at that time. The bridge or swing loan is excluded as temporary financing.

Return to Top
#2206541 - 02/20/19 01:27 PM Re: Bridge Loans Believing...
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree with Dan. If there is not going to be another loan (which I don't think is clear in the OP), then this would be HMDA reportable. If there IS going to be another loan, then it would be the same situation as Joker provided from the commentary and would be exempt as temporary financing.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2206584 - 02/20/19 05:54 PM Re: Bridge Loans Believing...
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Agree. To put it in plain English: 1 phase = reportable. 2 phases = don’t report the first phase (temporary financing).

Return to Top