Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2208128 - 03/07/19 06:06 PM Reg CC Multiple Holds?
jmerlina Offline
New Poster
Good Afternoon,
I have been trying to research this issue for awhile, but I cannot find any specific answer.

Is it permitted to put both an exception hold AND a case-by-case hold on the same item? For example, the large dollar exception hold states that $5,000 must be made available next day. If a customer deposits a $25,000 check and I put the large dollar hold on, can I then put a case-by-case hold on that $5,000 in order to make only $200 available next day and then $4,800 available in two business days and the rest available after five business days?

I would be under the impression that this is not acceptable, but I can't find anything specific stating as such.
Thank you

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2208133 - 03/07/19 06:31 PM Re: Reg CC Multiple Holds? jmerlina
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Welcome to the BOL forums, jmerlina!

Using both a case-by-case and special exception (like the large deposit exception) hold together is permitted and a very common practice for some financial institutions.

In your example of both a case-by-case and a large deposit special exception hold, $200 would need to be available by the next day, $4,800 by the second day (assuming the items is not a next day item), and $20,000 after 7 days (5 exception days plus two case-by-case days).

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2208137 - 03/07/19 06:34 PM Re: Reg CC Multiple Holds? jmerlina
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
it is one item, you may not use 2 holds on it. the $5,000 you use as an example is not a separate deposit that allows for further hold to be placed.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett