Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2208410 - 03/11/19 08:34 PM 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access
Irishguy Offline
Platinum Poster
Irishguy
Kentucky
I know the answer will probably be open to interpretation or set by the Bank's policy, but I wanted to see how others view this situation.

The Bank's policy notes that employees are required to be absent from their positions for a minimum of 5 consecutive days each calendar year. Employee A schedules and takes Monday through Friday off. However, on Sunday (the day before the employee returns), the employee remotes into the Bank's system to do some work.

From a policy standpoint, I believe the employee has been absent for 5 consecutive days (letter of the law type of interpretation). However, from a "spirit" standpoint, it seems like the employee should have waited until Monday.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated!!!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2208412 - 03/11/19 08:54 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I think the 5 consecutive have been satisfied because that is exactly what I did when I worked for the big bank. We had to be off the five days, but on Sunday, I would go into work to catch up so that I would not be so far behind and I never got any pushback from it. Now that I work for a community bank, some of the employees do the same thing.

Return to Top
#2208448 - 03/12/19 02:57 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The consecutive days thing is to prevent access to money movement. Unless your employee can post illegal transactions on Sunday, I don't think there's an issue with them coming in to catch up on emails.

Return to Top
#2208458 - 03/12/19 03:18 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
Irishguy Offline
Platinum Poster
Irishguy
Kentucky
Ok. Follow up. Does your IT Department restrict access to employees that have remote access when they take their 5 consecutive days? Or is it up to the employee not to remote in?

Return to Top
#2208460 - 03/12/19 03:22 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think you would have to define remote access. Access to e-mail would not be a problem. Access to actual bank systems, especially if they have G/L or other transaction capabilities should be blocked.

Return to Top
#2208472 - 03/12/19 03:41 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
CountryBanker Offline
Gold Star
Northern IL
Our institutions are implementing a disconnect during an employee's 5-consecutive days vacation very soon, but the only system being disconnected for an employee is the core. The theory is, without the core, you couldn't move any funds. I'm still trying to poke holes in that logic, which is Risk Management's responsibility.

Return to Top
#2208477 - 03/12/19 03:49 PM Re: 5 Consecutive Days and Remote Access Irishguy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we do not suspend user access when on vacation (4,000+ associates, that would be a nightmare), but if they are on leave, we suspend access.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry