Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2204233 - 01/29/19 02:16 PM CIP Expired DL
PegH Offline
If your customer already has an account at the bank and they open another one years later, and the ID is expired should we require an updated ID even if we know that is the person opening the account?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2204234 - 01/29/19 02:20 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
I would instruct the branch staff to get an updated ID. Yes.

Return to Top
#2204263 - 01/29/19 04:21 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
one deer Offline
Any where but work
You really should read your CIP policy and/or procedures, to see what your financial institutions expectations are. I believe that per the regulation governing CIP, the identification procedure is a one time and your in, as long as customer has open accounts there is no need to update information. If the individual has closed all accounts and comes back to open a new relationship then yes you need to redo CIP identification procedures. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Return to Top
#2204264 - 01/29/19 04:31 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
Sunshine Lady Online
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
one deer, that is the way I understand it also, we are not required, but if they have it we try and get it updated in the system.

Return to Top
#2204283 - 01/29/19 05:39 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
A person's identity doesn't change because a document expired. I'm still ACB whether my identification document is valid or not. Get a new copy of the document according to your procedural requirements.

Return to Top
#2204334 - 01/29/19 08:39 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
If you are obtaining it, then it is for reasons other than CIP. It's just not required. CIP is a one and done matter. You identify the customer to form a reasonable belief when the relationship is entered into. The fact that their license has expired doesn't change anything.

Return to Top
#2204357 - 01/29/19 09:58 PM Re: CIP Expired DL ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By ACBbank
A person's identity doesn't change because a document expired. I'm still ACB whether my identification document is valid or not. Get a new copy of the document according to your procedural requirements.

if you are trying to match the picture ID up to the individual a 18 year old may not look like a 90 year old eventhough you are the same. (expired for a short period vs long period) Id's are lost, stolen and altered all the time hence the reasoning for policy to include un-expired.

Some of our older ids (in NYS) did not have pictures on state issued Id's when first issued.

You need to follow whatever you bank policy is.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2204395 - 01/30/19 02:00 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
If you're a big bank with hundreds of thousands or millions of customers (Or a small bank with a limited staff), operationalizing updating ID's is a nightmare. Different states have different formats and don't even get me started on passports. I stand by my original comment. Whether I'm 18 or 90, I'm still ACB and you can update IDs during the normal course of business.

Return to Top
#2209219 - 03/21/19 06:43 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
Sarah Graham Offline
New Poster
Not that this pertains entirely to an expired drivers license.. What is or should be the procedure for a name change? A marriage Certificate, new DL.. Should this person be ran through the system again as a new customer? What are the BSA rules for this?

Return to Top
#2209294 - 03/22/19 04:51 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Hello Sarah and welcome to BOL!
Just like any change you will need supporting documentation. A marriage certificate is good, we usually request that they update their drivers license or other State ID prior to us making the change but it is not a requirement. No need to run them through the system again since they are not a new customer.

Return to Top
#2209408 - 03/25/19 05:44 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Agreed. A change of name does not mean a change of identity. He or she is the same individual as before the name change. Some, if not many, banks would also require evidence the name change had been made with the Social Security Administration, too, especially if there is an interest-earning account involved.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2217771 - 07/16/19 07:49 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Thoughts on an existing customer (individual) opening a business account, XYZ LLC, and having an expired DL on her for Beneficial Ownership purposes? Shouldn't we have collected a new DL for her individually? Front line giving me some push back.

Return to Top
#2217776 - 07/16/19 08:17 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
According to question 7 in the second FAQ you can rely on CIP information you've previously obtained as BO verification. Of course your P&P would have to allow for this.

Return to Top
#2217818 - 07/17/19 02:28 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
mleu Offline
New Poster
From FAQ 7:
"...a financial institution may rely on information in its possession to fulfill the identification and verification requirements, provided the existing information is up-to-date, accurate, and the legal entity customer’s representative certifies..."

For me this means that if you have an expired DL for a ben owner, you need to get a current one when you open a new account.

Return to Top
#2217820 - 07/17/19 02:31 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for the citation.

Return to Top
#2217904 - 07/17/19 10:26 PM Re: CIP Expired DL PegH
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
For what it’s worth (not much) my interpretation of that sentence is different. “Existing information,” in my opinion, refers to CIP information (name, dob, address, TIN) and not to CIP verification information (ID). I also think that for all practical purposes, as described above, their identity hasn’t changed because their ID expired, and the purpose of this is to identify beneficial owners. My examiner had no issues with this, but your mileage may vary.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z