BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2209483 - 03/26/19 01:52 PM Subaru Forester
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Do any of you have any experience with the Subaru Forester? I am thinking about buying one.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2209485 - 03/26/19 01:56 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we have previously owned a DL (early 90s 4-door, precursor to Legacy) and currently have an outback. We tried the Forester as well, outback rode better and had better options. DL had 297,000 miles when we got rid of it.

Return to Top
#2209489 - 03/26/19 02:11 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I still have my 2005 Turbo Charged Baja and will never get rid of it, since they quit making them. Hard to go wrong with any of the Subaru's.

Return to Top
#2209494 - 03/26/19 02:28 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Along about 1980, my husband and I bought a brand new Subaru wagon with on demand 4-wheel drive. That was my favorite vehicle of anything I have ever owned. However, I have been driving Nissans ever since and have never had a problem with any of them. My husband owned two different size trucks and I have owned 3 Altimas and 1 Maxima and an Xterra. I was thinking about a Murano or a Pathfinder, but I like the looks of the Forester better. I would buy another Xterra but they don't make'em anymore.

Several years ago, I attempted to shop locally for a used Forester only the learn that there is no such thing. The dealer said that people buy them, keep them. These days, I'm not necessarily interested in a used one. I would rather buy one new. I think they are less expensive than Nissans.

Return to Top
#2209495 - 03/26/19 02:29 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Also........since I am nearing retirement and want to travel a little more, my Altima is a little small.

Return to Top
#2209499 - 03/26/19 02:36 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
My sister owned one … they don't survive bouncing off the side of another vehicle then hitting the guardrail because a bee got in the car …. other than that, she liked it

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2209501 - 03/26/19 02:39 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
shocked laugh laugh laugh

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2209502 - 03/26/19 02:41 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I considered the Forester when I was shopping for a small SUV about a year ago, but I ultimately went with the Mazda CX-5. The CX-5 was higher rated in almost all of the publications, and I like the look of it better.

Return to Top
#2209520 - 03/26/19 03:56 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Hmmmmm......will have to keep that in mind. Thanx, TMatt.

Return to Top
#2209524 - 03/26/19 04:07 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I have a 2012 Forester. My husband had his heart set on one starting in 2010 but they were more expensive than a Malibu and I wanted him to have on-star because of his commute and health. We finally got one in 2013 but he can't drive anymore so I use it now and my son has the Chevy (but a 2004, the 2010 was totaled in an accident). Funny story, 3 days after I started driving the Subaru we had a snow storm during working hours and the plow came and plowed our parking lot which had the effect of plowing all the employees cars in. So when we left for the night, a co-worker was explaining to everyone how to get over the snow mound. She told me to rock the car back and forth a couple of times and then "gun it in reverse" to get over the mound. I thanked her and then after closing the window I told my passengers that my husband would kill me if I did that and this was a f***g Subaru and I paid good money for it so it better perform according to the hype, it did, and everyone laughed all the way home smile

P.S. They run a commercial about the Subaru where a man states that he drives his Subaru three miles to work and three miles back home and a lot of weather can happen in those three miles. Well, I'm the commercial ( I live three miles from the bank).

Return to Top
#2209543 - 03/26/19 04:50 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
subaru now has their own version of on-star, but don't recall what they call it.

Return to Top
#2209549 - 03/26/19 05:20 PM Re: Subaru Forester TMatt87
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By TMatt87
I considered the Forester when I was shopping for a small SUV about a year ago, but I ultimately went with the Mazda CX-5. The CX-5 was higher rated in almost all of the publications, and I like the look of it better.
Just bought one, LOVE IT!

Return to Top
#2209555 - 03/26/19 05:43 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
My friend had a Forester and I did not think it road very smooth (which is important to me). We bought our daughter a CX-5 and it is a very nice SUV and I would recommend you at least take a look at one. They are responsibly priced and very good in the snow if there is any where you live.

Return to Top
#2209556 - 03/26/19 05:54 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Not specifically a Forester, but I have an Impreza and my folks have an Outback. My car is a little older (2008), but I absolutely love it and don't want to ever get rid of it. Great gas mileage. My son and husband just replaced all of the spark plugs because it was starting to do something weird and not have a ton of power, but I hadn't done any work on it at all since I've had it. It now runs like new.

I live up a canyon outside of the town I live in and we get a whole lot of snow there, so I put studded snow tires on my car. The AWD and studded tires make it drive like a dream in winter. It's fabulous! It gets around better than our pickup truck and I feel very safe in it. That alone is worth it to me, especially since I let my son use it before he had his truck and we now have our daughters that are starting to drive, so I know they're in a safe vehicle when they're using my car. If and when I replace my vehicle, I'll look at another Subaru because I just really like how it handles in winter and I like that I still get 25 miles to the gallon.

Return to Top
#2209557 - 03/26/19 05:55 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Just a note on the CX-5. They made significant improvements to the CX-5 model in 2017, so make sure to go with a newer model. The ones prior to 2017 score lower, particularly in road noise, which I would find very annoying.

Return to Top
#2209583 - 03/26/19 07:44 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Love the Suburu's Always rated near the top, excellent consumer reports & safety ratings. Only negative I heard is that after 10-12 years, you want to get a new car, but there is no reason to get rid of it.

Seriously thought of one, but we do not need a constant 4 wheel drive. My brother has one (and loves it). He had a blow-out on one tire with a little over 10,000 miles. He had to replace all 4 tires, because the new one would be a larger circumference then the other 3, and put too much strain on the drive train.

Return to Top
#2209595 - 03/26/19 08:05 PM Re: Subaru Forester Retired DQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By DeeQ

Ducks! shocked!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2209605 - 03/26/19 08:25 PM Re: Subaru Forester Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
does this mean there is at least one fewer tree in suburban NJ?

Return to Top
#2209606 - 03/26/19 08:29 PM Re: Subaru Forester HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
does this mean there is at least one fewer tree in suburban NJ?

I'm guessing the volume of gin and cigarettes that can be transported is high.

Return to Top
#2209628 - 03/27/19 12:22 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hardy har har, you bozos... laugh

Return to Top
#2209630 - 03/27/19 12:26 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
My husband has a 2011 forester and I have a 2017 Legacy, which I got because the Forester handles so well in bad weather (I didn't want an SUV and the Legacy is great too). Where I live every other car is a Subaru, and it's because they do so well in bad weather! On the rare occasions when I have started to skid it has been easy to pull out of it quickly.

Return to Top
#2209632 - 03/27/19 12:35 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Don't have a Forester - but do have an 2017 Outback. LOVE my Subaru. It also does well when you get rear-ended by a young woman - who flees the scene - and then gets caught without insurance and an expired driver's license!

Actually, if I had to buy another vehicle, more than likely it would be another Subaru.

Return to Top
#2209654 - 03/27/19 02:13 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Awesome stuff! Thanks everyone!!!

Return to Top
#2209656 - 03/27/19 02:16 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
One thing I remember about my 80's 4-wheel drive Subaru wagon is that it had a third headlight right in the center, between the other two. When not in use, it would fold down into the front. I called it Cyclops.

Return to Top
#2209668 - 03/27/19 03:23 PM Re: Subaru Forester swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By swiggles
One thing I remember about my 80's 4-wheel drive Subaru wagon is that it had a third headlight right in the center, between the other two. When not in use, it would fold down into the front. I called it Cyclops.
well, since it was a 3rd you should have called it triclops...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2