BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2192795 - 09/17/18 06:05 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I started KETO on July 16th and down 14 pounds as of this morning. It is the easiest food plan I have ever used. Because of my age, I add vegetables to my plan and have never felt better. I have used a lot of KETO recipes and they are wonderful. When I go out to eat, I have no problem with ordering something on my food plan. LOVE IT! I agree with LIVEFUNLIFE, do what works best for you.

Return to Top
#2192805 - 09/17/18 06:48 PM Re: KETO DIET Peepers
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By Peepers
Made some diet changes about 4 months ago and down 30+ lbs.

Main change.......eliminate almost all refined sugar. I use Stevia in it's place for Kool-Aid, iced tea and coffee. It's a one for one conversion.

For the first couple of months I made it a point to never miss desert so I could control sugar cravings. That included desert with lunch. The desert? Sugar free jello, it's just gelatin and water. On Saturday I would allow a bit more sweets for a desert but have since given that up and now for treats it's the jello, sugar free pudding and no sugar added popsicles. But I'm finding that I 'need' fewer and fewer treats as each week goes by.

I still eat potatoes (mashed, baked or hash browns) but keep the serving size within reason and only a couple of times per week. I rarely eat pasta or rice anymore (haven't had pizza in months). Beans seem to work well for me too though. I think a big thing is finding those supposed 'bad' carbs that work for you as some of those may not be all that 'bad' (other than refined sugar). I also make it a point to eat fruit.

My general rule of thumb, if I'm having low carb buns with brats then no fruit or other starchy carb. If not, then I'll have some fruit or a handful of tater tots.

It helps to have a freezer stocked with meat, I never don't have anything to make (I have lots of different kinds of fresh brats, so easy to make in a few minutes on the grill). Now I hope to get another deer (or two) this year to replenish much of that meat. It's much cheaper than buying a lot of beef, pork or chicken from the butcher.

Dinner tonight = two Italian venison brats and something else......the something else depends whether I have buns with them or not.

Need to report this post as an account take-over

CAMS

Return to Top
#2192814 - 09/17/18 07:28 PM Re: KETO DIET Peepers
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Made some diet changes about 4 months ago and down 30+ lbs.

Main change.......eliminate almost all refined sugar. I use Stevia in it's place for Kool-Aid, iced tea and coffee. It's a one for one conversion.

For the first couple of months I made it a point to never miss desert so I could control sugar cravings. That included desert with lunch. The desert? Sugar free jello, it's just gelatin and water. On Saturday I would allow a bit more sweets for a desert but have since given that up and now for treats it's the jello, sugar free pudding and no sugar added popsicles. But I'm finding that I 'need' fewer and fewer treats as each week goes by.

I still eat potatoes (mashed, baked or hash browns) but keep the serving size within reason and only a couple of times per week. I rarely eat pasta or rice anymore (haven't had pizza in months). Beans seem to work well for me too though. I think a big thing is finding those supposed 'bad' carbs that work for you as some of those may not be all that 'bad' (other than refined sugar). I also make it a point to eat fruit.

My general rule of thumb, if I'm having low carb buns with brats then no fruit or other starchy carb. If not, then I'll have some fruit or a handful of tater tots.

It helps to have a freezer stocked with meat, I never don't have anything to make (I have lots of different kinds of fresh brats, so easy to make in a few minutes on the grill). Now I hope to get another deer (or two) this year to replenish much of that meat. It's much cheaper than buying a lot of beef, pork or chicken from the butcher.

Dinner tonight = two Italian venison brats and something else......the something else depends whether I have buns with them or not.

Thankfully, he didn't say "I really do love Kale!" I think that was the phrase he would use if he were under duress.

Return to Top
#2192818 - 09/17/18 07:44 PM Re: KETO DIET thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
as Jim Gaffigan would say:

If they found that Kale cured cancer I would still opt for the chemo

Return to Top
#2192881 - 09/18/18 11:33 AM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Seriously though, nice work Peepers. You should be proud of the accomplishment. Now if you can just make it through the Packers' season without eating your emotions when they come in second in the division again. smile smirk

Return to Top
#2192927 - 09/18/18 03:46 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Well done Peepers! Changing eating habits is very challenging but also very rewarding.

Return to Top
#2192966 - 09/18/18 06:28 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
::bakes Peeps a jello pie:: smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2210232 - 04/03/19 02:30 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
GorkMork Offline
New Poster
Keto is a scam. Three women in my bank started it, of varying ages. After a few months their hair started falling out and one of them had to get a wig to cover it up. There's no silver bullet when it comes to weight loss. People are always trying to find the easy way to get trim. There is no easy way.

Last year I did intermittent fasting in conjunction with a healthy diet, portion control, and regular exercise (gym 5 nights a week, half aerobic, half weight training) and lost 30 lbs and packed on muscle. Took 4 months. Wasn't fun at all but the results worked. Eat no later than 9 or 10 pm and don't eat again until 12pm or 1, cutting out breakfast. You'll be hungry in the mornings but if you want to drop weight you have to endure.

Return to Top
#2210308 - 04/03/19 08:58 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
EuphegeniaDoubtfire Offline
There are a few gals where I'm at that are doing Keto as well. One of them is losing her hair too! I wonder what it is that causes that. I'll just stick to carbs and stay happy laugh

Return to Top
#2210314 - 04/04/19 10:07 AM Re: KETO DIET EuphegeniaDoubtfire
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
ED. Do you and Gork work at the same place? Scary similarities

Return to Top
#2210324 - 04/04/19 01:18 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Been on meat, fruit, nuts, and veggies for 30 days now, lost 25 pounds. Carbs and dairy are minimal. No working out. Really it's all about pure mental toughness to control yourself. if you have the self-control you will be able to tackle any diet.

Return to Top
#2210342 - 04/04/19 03:22 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
I don't think so.. and that's what I was thinking too! I'm all for being healthy but something about that diet isn't right if your hair starts falling out. frown good job praBSA! I wish I had the self control...maybe someday!!

Return to Top
#2210552 - 04/08/19 03:35 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
yep - one of the side effects for certain people on keto is hair loss, you can google to see

Return to Top
#2210589 - 04/08/19 06:18 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Not worth it in my opinion, but it does work for some people

Return to Top
#2210750 - 04/10/19 02:21 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I think Keto is kind of strict, no? I don't follow it precisely.

I just modified things because you need some carbs. It's just a matter of what types of carbs. For me, it's fruit. Some of you may enjoy vegetables and all I can say is, eat more so there is less of them for me.

I eat starchy carbs in moderation (bread, potatoes) four times a week, tops. And that's total, not at each meal four days a week.

Once a month I eat more sugar or starchy stuff as a treat. I think it's true that your body adjusts over time when you make diet changes. I was hitting a plateau so I decided to try the "occasional jump start your system" thing. For me, that occasional is once per month. It seems to be working.

There are a ton of low carb recipes out there. Slow cooker pizza is one. It's basically the top of a pizza without the crust (I don't use much sauce either to limit sugar).

I also don't beat myself up if I fall of the wagon. Last weekend the step daughter and I hung out and I went off my once per month plan and had pizza and breadsticks. So this month it's at least twice eating junk, big deal.

Since May of last year I'm down just over 60 pounds and close to my goal and just needing to maintain things.

Return to Top
#2210760 - 04/10/19 03:16 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
down over 60 pounds? thats pretty freaking awesome, peepers...congrats.

due to a sinus infection, i'm currently on the amoxicillin antibiotic diet...no matter what i eat or drink, it does not stay in my body long enough to be digested...by the time the 7-day regimen of pills is done, i will likely have lost at least 10 pounds, if my results after 2 days hold through the week...

i do not recommend this weight loss method for anyone!!! eek

Return to Top
#2210767 - 04/10/19 03:50 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I am wary of any diet or eating plan that eliminates any food group entirely. The plan that I followed (and need to get back to) when I lost over 100 lbs. was very inclusive of many different foods. I ate meat, but it was all very lean meat. I also ate carbs but they were whole grain carbs and not a lot of starches (brown rice over potatoes). I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables as well as some low fat dairy. I ate sugars, but they were natural sugars (honey and raw sugars). I did have to exercise to lose weight beyond a certain point, but I think it was better for me than excluding certain food groups.

Return to Top
#2210772 - 04/10/19 04:12 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My wife and I have been doing a clean eating plan. We have cut out most (I say most because it is hard to do all) processed foods. We try to prep as much as we can on weekends to be ready for the week. We love pasta! We try to replace regular pasta with either whole wheat or use zucchini noodle instead. We still allow ourselves to cheat and have pizza etc on weekends but its all in moderation.

There are so many ingredients out there that you can replace something with. We have used plain greek yogurt as a replacement for a lot.

We have been at this for 2 weeks. No weigh loss but we both have notice some changes in how some pants fit.

Return to Top
#2210789 - 04/10/19 05:58 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Through work, I have been on the Naturally Slim program for 7 weeks. It basically stresses 2 main keys, slowing down when eating (chew slowly and take at least 25 minutes to eat a meal - the 10-5-10 method) and eating only when you are at what they term a Level 3 hunger (basically hungry enough where real food looks good and not just snack food but not so hungry you wolf down your meal). I have lost about 11.5 pounds in the 7 weeks and feel like I am learning good habits and skills rather than focusing on what I eat. Because of how the program works, I have naturally drifted towards foods where I get the biggest bang for my buck (low calorie, low sugar, and at least some protein most of the time). The program also recommends getting active at least 150 minutes per week by doing something you like (but trying to include both some form of cardio and some form of weight training). It has been a good fit for me.

Return to Top
#2210952 - 04/12/19 12:30 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
What is the 10-5-10 method?

Return to Top
#2210954 - 04/12/19 12:42 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Eat for 10 minutes, take a break for 5 minutes, then eat for 10 minutes. It helps enforce the habits of chewing slowly and taking your time to eat a meal. It forces you to be intentional about taking longer to eat a meal. After a while, the slow chewing and slow eating become habits. It is surprising to me how little now makes me feel full because I am allowing time for the taste center of my brain to be satisfied and for my brain to know that I am full.

Return to Top
#2210989 - 04/12/19 04:34 PM Re: KETO DIET Purple Pride
Peepers Offline
10K Club
what if you had steak cooked like Happy likes it?

that could take an hour to get through that

Return to Top
#2210999 - 04/12/19 05:18 PM Re: KETO DIET Peepers
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
what if you had steak cooked like Happy likes it?

that could take an hour to get through that

perfectly cooked yet tender to the touch? only reason it would take an hour as you wanted to savor every succulent morsel...but in reality, they are normally eaten faster than the time it takes Joey Chestnut to down 74 Nathan's hot dogs to win yet another title...

Return to Top
#2211004 - 04/12/19 05:39 PM Re: KETO DIET Purple Pride
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
This slower eating is something I should look into. I always eat like someone's about to take it away from me! (Youngest of five....) I like the idea of a strategy that won't make me feel deprived.

Return to Top
#2211013 - 04/12/19 06:11 PM Re: KETO DIET DEL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By DEL
This slower eating is something I should look into. I always eat like someone's about to take it away from me! (Youngest of five....) I like the idea of a strategy that won't make me feel deprived.
i have 6 siblings, we all learned to eat fast in the event we wanted 2nds...dawdle over your meal and you never got seconds as nothing was left...lol

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett