Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2092023 - 08/05/16 08:37 PM Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census?
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Hello, pertaining to the location of property via census tract, are we still going to be allowed to use the FFIEC's geocoding site for this determination?

If not, what site are we to use?

Can we rely on geocoding provided by the flood companies that shows on the Flood Determination forms?

Will our file have to document where/how we obtained the census info (ex: printout in the file)?

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2092296 - 08/09/16 02:18 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CFPB is developing a free geocoding tool that will be capable of geocoding individual and batch addresses. Its use will be optional. Like now, it is not necessary to maintain individual records of geocoding results. An explanation of the process used is sufficient. It is common to maintain proof when an addresss was difficult to geocode and maps were used.

We do not yet know where that tool will be located.

I would not rely on a third party's geocoding unless they were contracted to geocode for the bank.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2155367 - 11/29/17 08:38 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Has anyone heard when/where the CFPB is going to release the geocoding tool? When I went to their HMDA site today it still just says it's forthcoming.

Return to Top
#2155401 - 11/29/17 09:41 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
They said they would in the 9/13/17 rule. They have not released it yet.

Return to Top
#2155444 - 11/29/17 11:30 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
cgorham Offline
100 Club
In the HMDA platform preview the CFPB did with the MBA in late August, they listed the geocoder as coming out in Q4 2017, but that was the last I've heard of it. A lot has changed at the CFPB since then, so I wouldn't plan on having it for 1/1/18.

§1003.6(b) talks a little bit about geocoding errors. You can use anything you want, but if it is a third party (I assume they don't consider the FFIEC site a 3rd party?) then it sounds like it is not a "bona fide error" if they get it wrong.

Return to Top
#2155465 - 11/30/17 01:14 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
compliancejunkie Offline
New Poster
Does anyone know if the Rate Spread Calculator will show negative numbers as well as positive numbers, I believe that is how we are required to report as opposed to NA.

Return to Top
#2155480 - 11/30/17 02:52 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
@ ComplianceJunkie I have emailed the FFIEC in their 'contact' form for the Rate Spread Calculator and asked them this. When I tested it this week it was still showing "NA" if not passing the HPML threshold instead of showing us the actual #.
Our LOSs are going to print the Rate spreads but I would still like to have a 2nd-check with the FFIEC tool for a few of them to make sure they're correct.

Return to Top
#2157535 - 12/18/17 02:22 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
NoJustNo Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Has anyone heard anymore about the CFPB's geocoding tool? I only find this on their website... seems like we're getting down to the wire here.

Quote:
A new online geocoding tool will be provided that identifies the census tract for a single address or batches of addresses. Further information will be forthcoming.

Return to Top
#2157542 - 12/18/17 02:50 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No word. Nothing. Nada.

Return to Top
#2157553 - 12/18/17 04:06 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
JobSecurity Offline
Platinum Poster
We listened to a Wolters Kluwer webinar on the 7th. They said one tool would be ready 2Q and the other 1Q. I believe it was the geo tool for 2Q. All I remember was thinking about the extra work going back and fixing them for the safe harbor.

Return to Top
#2211008 - 04/12/19 05:59 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
NoJustNo Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Just a follow-up to this - STILL no word on the new geocoding too, right? Looks like the CFPB still says

"A new online geocoding tool will be provided that identifies the census tract for a single address or batches of addresses. Further information will be forthcoming."

Return to Top
#2211010 - 04/12/19 06:05 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I haven't seen or heard of any updates. Just the normal FFIEC tool & the same disclosure that you quoted - funny! I guess it's not on their priority list.

Return to Top
#2211012 - 04/12/19 06:11 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
NoJustNo Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Made me a little nervous b/c when I search 2019 I'm getting this in red

"Census demographic data for the year 2019 are currently unavailable."

Return to Top
#2211040 - 04/12/19 09:55 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The CFPB has never released a geocoding tool. Your right that they say they will - even in the 2019 Getting It Right manual that just came out a few weeks ago. All we have is the FFIEC tool.

Return to Top
#2211051 - 04/13/19 12:41 PM Re: Still use FFIEC's Geocoding Site for Census? Banker K, CRCM
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
FWIW - When I recently inquired with the CFPB about the future release of their own tool, the person answering (just HMDA help) said they won't be releasing a tool and to use the FFIEC tool. When I inquired about the referenced safe harbor for the tool on the CFPB's "website" (per several publications), they didn't reply. eek

All of the publications reference a future tool on the CFPB's website, but the HMDA help desk is saying there won't be a new tool...

As David said, all we have right now is the FFIEC tool.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top