Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
New Reply Thread Options
#2212141 - 04/25/19 06:25 PM REQUIRED "Team Building"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Started a new job several months back and have within the last few weeks have a new manager.

In the next month of so he's planning a "team building" outing: bowling (and in his own words, drinks)

This is after-hours and will be required.

Here's the question:

I do indulge in the sauce (LOL) but I never mix business with pleasure. In all my years of company Christmas parties, I've always sipped a Coke. I just don't think booze and coworkers is a good fit.

Beyond that, my free time is my free time. I don't see enough of my family and friends as it is, and I can think of nothing I'd rather do less than spend a Friday night bowling with my coworkers. Which brings me to my next point:

This is UNPAID, but REQUIRED.

I probably sound like a stick in the mud (I'm not, truly), just have a life outside of my 9-5 job.

Help. Do I put on my big girl panties and go and hate every second of it? Do I make a last minute excuse? Do I tell the truth and sound like a non-team player? Do I go to their boss and say this idea is not my cup of tea? (or shot of Jag?)

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2212142 - 04/25/19 06:27 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here, sorry for the grammar and spelling errors. I'm probably in the sauce as we speak, LOL.

#2212152 - 04/25/19 07:06 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
I certainly wouldn't start with their boss - start by talking to them first. I hate activities like this, too, especially when going requires I spend money on things I may not want to spend money on.

#2212154 - 04/25/19 07:28 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Obi Offline
100 Club
Why not just go? Meeting with co-workers and your new boss away from work might help you get to know them better.

#2212159 - 04/25/19 07:44 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Depending on state law, mandating unpaid activities outside of work may violate labor laws. Your manager may be unaware if this is the case. Another possible avenue is to ask Human Resources.

#2212189 - 04/25/19 10:42 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
It's one thing to require officers of a corporation to attend retreats, team building sessions, or the like. Officers are salaried and expected to support all corporate initiatives. Hourly employees are another matter. Talk to HR.

#2212273 - 04/28/19 12:09 AM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
As one that speaks on culture and organization health, I highly encourage this type of activity. If you think culture doesn't fit with CMS:
• The OCC’s July 2016 Exam Handbook mentions “culture” 45 times and has an entire chapter entitled “Establish an Appropriate Corporate Culture.
• Last year, the FRB of NY hosted a conference on culture and behavior (their 3rd of this type)

Establishing a healthy culture is tougher than “doing” Compliance. Culture is the FOUNDATION of the compliance program. The basis of a healthy culture is Trust and trust is first established by spending time together - in and out of work. As Obi stated, why not go?

If you'd like a better work environment, better relationships with those you work with, more fulfillment from work, then you'll want to work on the culture and improve the Team. If you simply refuse to go and want to complain that "I'm not being paid," then you're probably not a good Team player. I don't know you and I'm not trying to be rude or jump to conclusions, but I can't think why anyone that is a good Team player would not want to do something as simple as this to increase trust and kmoprove your company's culture.

Last, you don't have to drink alcohol just because it's being offered.

My last comment: Many people talk about how they wish their company's culture was better and how they wish their boss would treat them better. Leaders need to know their Team Members on a personal level to lead them well. How else is your leader supposed to get to know you better unless you'll spend time with them outside fo work? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

As Richard inferred, you can talk to HR and refuse to go. If you were on my Team, I'd find someone else that was willing to do more than just put in the hours.

#2212275 - 04/28/19 03:31 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
David - I can't remember disagreeing with you on any regulatory question, but this thread is not about compliance with regulations, and I see this differently.

The OP makes no mention of the nature of the job s/he performs, so we have no idea how this job, function, or department relates to the bottom line. For all we know, this person may perform janitorial duties and be paid the minimum wage. We also don't know whether "bowling and brews" nights out are part of a general corporate initiative.

I fully appreciate the importance of corporate culture and have seen many cases where the lack of an appropriate corporate culture lead to substantial losses, flagrant violations of law, and abuses of staff.

The OCC exam handbook section you referenced says:
Corporate culture refers to the norms and values that drive behaviors within an organization.
An appropriate corporate culture for a bank is one that does not condone or encourage:
- imprudent risk taking,
- unethical behavior, or
- the circumvention of
-- laws,
-- regulations, or
--safe and sound policies and procedures
in pursuit of profits or business objectives.

Shared values, expectations, and objectives established by the board and senior management promote a sound corporate culture.

Corporate norms and values are set at the very top of an organization, not at the departmental level. There's nothing wrong with team-building, but the OP makes no mention that this new manager is implementing "fun and games after hours" as part of a company-wide initiative. Also, a forced social gathering does nothing to discourage imprudent risk-taking, unethical behavior, or compliance with laws, regulations, and sound banking practices.

Your comment "I'd find someone else that was willing to do more than just put in the hours" is disturbing...in a Harvey Weinstein sort of way. Punishing certain employees for their unwillingness to play games after hours sounds dangerously close to employment discrimination (Brian's concern)...and I'm sure the SEIU would love to throw an after-hours party for bank employees who feel powerless to say "thanks, but no thanks."

#2212277 - 04/29/19 01:07 AM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Richard: You're right the this isn't about a regulation, but I disagree that it is "not about compliance." It has everything to do with CMS, as I explained in my previous post. However, I understand that you see it differently. I've known you since the Iowa Bankers Association in 2001 (I think that's when we first met - when you told the audience about the new BOL!). You're "old school" and I appreciate that.

Whether they are a janitor or the president, it doesn't matter. Everyone is part of the Team. THAT'S WHAT MATTERS! I understand your view that norms and values are set at the top. That may be true, but it doesn't negate the fact that culture stems from all levels. The CEO can say "this is important" but if the it isn't incorporated into the lowest levels and in day-to-day activities and functions, it isn't really important. It's just lip service.

You can assume all you want about the OP and I can too. My point is that a healthy organization is first formed by trust. Trust is formed by spending time together, learning about one another and gaining empathy for one another by understanding views, filters and experiences that form each Team Members beliefs and understandings. You stated:
"Also, a forced social gathering does nothing to discourage imprudent risk-taking, unethical behavior, or compliance with laws, regulations, and sound banking practices." I have no idea what you mean or assume by that statement. My point is that so many people say they want a leader that cares but when a leader tries to build a relationship with those that they are trying to lead (like the OP's leader), it's easy to say "I'm not being paid to do anything outside of work."

I stand by my comment ("I'd find someone else that was willing to do more than just put in the hours") and don't apologize if it disturbs you. We have a summer party where all Team Members are expected to attend. They are also encouraged to bring their families. We have a Christmas party with spouses/significant others - and again, it's mandatory. We get together after hours whenever possible. In other words, we practice these principles everyday in my Team.

We have an amazing group of Team Members that tell me Banker's Compliance Consulting is the best place they've ever worked. A few have left and many return or ask to come back because they recognize the great culture we have. Many apply and few are accepted. I'm not saying that with arrogance, but with pride. If someone doesn't value the things, I wouldn't call it "punishment." They simply wouldn't be hired. Discrimination? Yes. But it's not a protected class. It's only for winners and for those that want to find fulfillment in their careers. Call that strange, if you'd like. I call it true success!

#2212278 - 04/29/19 10:01 AM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" David Dickinson
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA

David - This discussion is about a commercial bank, not your company, so please don't take any of my comments personally. I have never run, regulated, or advised a business of the type you own and operate, and therefore have no right to express an opinion. Knowing you for many years, I have no doubt that you run a fine organization with a good corporate culture--and that is directly attributable to you as the CEO. I'm also confident that you hold all levels of your managers and employees accountable for maintaining the values that have made your business successful.

I have seen some miserable failures in banks, and frequently these failures trace back to weak or negative corporate cultures. You are right that there is a big difference between "saying" (without reinforcing) what should happen and and "setting" the norms and values. We saw a lot of that in the '70s when banks were first told they should manage their level of compliance with what were then a crop of new consumer protection laws. I remember a few cases where my examiners recommended policies and then returned a year later to find newly adopted policies that still hadn't been edited to remove the name of the correspondent bank that had actually written them. It came as no surprise that the staff wasn't aware of any changes.

I agree that everyone in an organization needs to play a part. My concern is that each level from hourly employees up to the CEO should be following the chain of command. If the BOD and executive management determine that unpaid afterhours departmental bowling and brews outings are good corporate policy, then ALL middle managers should be told to set up afterhours activities. What the OP describes sounds more like a single middle manager who's freelancing with employment performance standards that are not supported by corporate policy.

Employment discrimination, but not a protected class? The "effects test" began with employment discrimination cases. If you interviewed every existing employee in the OP's department (not new hires after the practice began) in order to determine the degree of hardship caused by the new manager's introduction of mandatory after-hours social events, you'd probably find the single young men would say it was no hardship--in fact they love it. Older employees with family obligations, especially moms, would be more likely to agree with the OP and say it's a hardship. Although neutral on its face, the practice would have disparate impact based on age and gender.

I don't challenge afterhours activities that were explained prior to employment or are optional, and team-building is not inherently bad, but if it leads to employee dissatisfaction and complaints, it may be counterproductive. Historically, the banking industry has managed to stay union free, but employment practices that lead to grievances invite union organizers. I haven't worked in a bank for a long time, but I doubt today's banking execs have warmed up to the idea of a unionized workforce.

Originally Posted By David Dickinson
You stated:
"Also, a forced social gathering does nothing to discourage imprudent risk-taking, unethical behavior, or compliance with laws, regulations, and sound banking practices." I have no idea what you mean or assume by that statement.
I was simply tracking the listed points in the OCC manual. It says "An appropriate corporate culture for a bank is one that does not condone or encourage imprudent risk taking, unethical behavior, or the circumvention of laws, regulations, or safe and sound policies and procedures in pursuit of profits or business objectives."

Hopefully, the OP will share the outcome.

#2212284 - 04/29/19 01:46 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Good discussion Richard. I think this is turning into a great dialogue from which we all gain!

I appreciate your comments about Banker's Compliance Consulting and our culture and it has made our business successful, but my comments go far beyond it. I teach on Culture & Organizational Health as much as I teach specific regulatory topics. It's actually more of my passion and, as I get older, something I believe I have more wisdom to fall back on as I've lived it out. I teach Culture at the ABA Compliance Graduate School, at numerous State and National conferences and for many organizations. In fact, I'm headed to Orlando today to speak at the Farm Credit Services Home Lending Conference where I'm giving a keynote presentation on this very topic. IOW, culture is important for ALL Team Members, not just those on salary. I don't think you disagree with that.

Quote:
"If the BOD and executive management determine that unpaid afterhours departmental bowling and brews outings are good corporate policy, then ALL middle managers should be told to set up afterhours activities. What the OP describes sounds more like a single middle manager who's freelancing with employment performance standards that are not supported by corporate policy.

It would be nice if the BOD and Exec Mgt established this policy. But what if they haven't? I get asked at almost every presentation/consultation on this topic "Shouldn't this start at the top?" and "What if my boss doesn't do these types of things? I'm not the leader, how can I change the culture?" My response to all of these is "Change what you can." Could it be that this middle manager is doing just that? The manager is trying to change the culture of his/her department. Maybe Sr. Mgt/BOD gave their permission or maybe they don't know about it at all. Either way, does that discount what the OP's manager is trying to do?

You mention activities need to "explained prior to employment". Really? With that mentality, there can't be any changes to how we work. You're right that some employees may be dissatisfied. Obviously the OP's manager is trying to make a change. Some people are simply against change and like to complain. That's why I said in my first post, that I would find a new Team Member.

My best advise is for the OP to talk to this manager and find out what the intentions and expectations are. Communication is the key to strong organizational health. Talking to us about it does no good and may cause more disunity.

Your comments about the effects test: I understand your point. I'll say it again:
Many people talk about how they wish their company's culture was better and how they wish their boss would treat them better. Leaders need to know their Team Members on a personal level to lead them well. How else is your leader supposed to get to know you better unless you'll spend time with them outside fo work? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You also said "a forced social gathering does nothing to discourage imprudent risk-taking, unethical behavior, or compliance with laws, regulations, and sound banking practices." I believe an organization with a strong culture is absolutely going to have less unethical behavior and will discourage imprudent risk-taking. Why? Because [b]a "healthy" Team has members that trust one another, hold each other accountable, discuss unhealthy behaviors and decisions and then commit to healthier decisions that provide the best results. (Please read that last sentence again and again to fully understand what my entire point).

#2212296 - 04/29/19 02:50 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" David Dickinson
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Good discussion Richard. I think this is turning into a great dialogue from which we all gain!
At this point, I'm spent on this lengthy thread, but I hope we've stimulated others to think about the topic. That's the beauty of BOL. From the beginning, we've hammered issue after issue in a way that puts a broad range of ideas, experiences, and differing opinions on the table for everyone to discuss and analyze.

I teach on Culture & Organizational Health as much as I teach specific regulatory topics...ABA Compliance Graduate School...conferences
That's great...and much needed! This is an evergreen topic that needs to reach executive audiences.

One of the most enjoyable and rewarding presentations I did over all my years as regulator, banker, and consultant was a case study for the Stonier Graduate School of Banking. It was a a Socratic Method Discussion and was part of the Stonier curriculum for 10 years. The "case" placed students (all of whom were on a track to a corner office) in the unenviable position of a newly hired CEO who discovered on the first day of the job that s/he had stepped into a regulatory disaster. It was a "perfect storm" of all the horrible problems I had ever seen--everything from money laundering to discrimination. The purpose of the case wasn't to teach executives about regulations, but rather to sensitize them to the damage that can result from neglect and bad attitudes toward regulations (or any other major responsibility)--i.e., a rotten corporate culture. I wanted them to see how important it is for the right tone to be set at the very top of a bank and flow down through the entire organization.

#2212305 - 04/29/19 03:54 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
to the original question - if it is required, and you are not an exempt employee, they are required to pay you for your time at the event - failure to do so is a violation of labor laws.

I would start with the new boss about why it is an imposition on your to attend after hours, and if it was team building could it not be done during work hours, possibly over a long lunch, this also takes away the alcohol portion. Is the bank paying for this or are you expected to pay your portion? will the bank pay for your dependent child care, if needed? depending on how the boss answers, i would be deciding whether to go to the next level or HR, if it is that important to you.

Personally - i rarely attend after hours functions that the bank hosts, because i also have a life outside of the bank, and have something almost every night i would rather be doing (even if that means sitting in front of the TV mindlessly watching nothing). I am not a fan of alcohol at bank functions, and if it is present and so am i, i never imbibe, and normally only stay long enough to "be seen" by the people who think my being there matters. I have never told someone they are required to attend a function after hours, and i don't hold it against anyone if they don't - but i know many a peer that does both, and i don't agree with it.

#2212310 - 04/29/19 04:13 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Happy's point about non-exempt employee attendance is a good one. If you are requiring non-exempt employees to attend a function, you have to account for that in accordance with applicable labor laws. Frankly, that's also a good measure of how important this is to senior management - is it important enough that they are willing to pay for it (and to set it up to really accomplish the goal)?

I agree with David that culture is critically important to performance in all areas, including compliance. But nothing sours culture faster than rank and file employees feeling like management doesn't understand them, care about them, or support them.

#2212313 - 04/29/19 04:29 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I also agree that culture is critically important....i just don't believe there is anything about employees getting together after work that is inherently beneficial to bank culture. Plenty of people who are all over after hours functions aren't good team players, and plenty who would prefer to never attend an after hours function are great team players where and when it matters....at WORK.

#2212314 - 04/29/19 04:29 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Happy summed it up very nicely.
My boss knows all he needs to know about me in the light he needs to see it...my job. My reviews have always spoken to my contributions as a team player so I guess we're both doing it right.
The vast majority of our team building fuctions happen at the bank during the work day. There is also a social committee that organizes three or four after hours activities during the year but they are certainly not mandated in any way.
Like Happy, I have a personal life outside my career/work and I chose to keep them seperate.
If you're uncomfortable discussing this with the new boss, ask to speak to HR in a non-confrontational way. The new manager may not know your bank's guidelines and/or labor laws well enough yet.

#2212322 - 04/29/19 04:57 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By raitchjay
i just don't believe there is anything about employees getting together after work that is inherently beneficial to bank culture.

RJ - you certainly summed it up far better than my lengthy worded post did, thank you, couldn't agree more!

(now, if i can just get you on the right page regarding your poor choices for sports...lol)

#2212326 - 04/29/19 05:08 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Happy.....i very much agreed with your post....which is what made me want to add my 2 cents. smile

#2212331 - 04/29/19 05:16 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
OldeTymeBanker Offline
As mentioned, some of this may hinge on whether or not this employee is exempt v. non-exempt. Also, our company does not allow alcohol to ever be expensed. If you choose to imbibe that is on your dime. I think your manager may be better served to take his department out for a long lunch one Friday. People will still be relaxed and open, and they won't expect alcohol when they know they have to go back to the office, even if it is at 3:00.

#2212345 - 04/29/19 06:32 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Yes, getting back to the original post......the manager wanted a bowling outing with drinks. I see nothing about bowling and drinking beer that would be useful in building a proper bank culture. Not saying it might or might not be fun, which is why it should be optional....IMHO.

#2212357 - 04/29/19 07:31 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I'd love to hear from the OP as I think there's a lot of assumptions being made that may not be accurate.

Interesting comments by many of you after Richard & I gave our positions on this. What's ironic to me, is that many of you that are against any type of Team building outside of work are also posting in the "Pet Peeves" string in the BOL Couch forum and complaining about co-workers:
https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbt...t-peeves#UNREAD
Maybe if you had a strong sense of Team and better communication with your Team Members, those pet peeves wouldn't exist or you could have healthy discussions about them with your Team Members.

Think about this: How can you pour sour milk on your cereal and then complain that it tastes bad? (I'm sure that comment will light up those that already don't get it and believe this is a bad thing).

#2212358 - 04/29/19 07:33 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Gonna be interesting when someone who imbibed on the bank's dollar wrecks on the way home whistle

Not cool.

Beyond that, requiring me to attend [and I am salaried] is not gonna get you anywhere with me. I have a whole other job after my banking day. I will not be traveling 20 miles home to feed up/change/ or change/go out and come home late to barn chores. AIN'T HAPPENING. If you want me culturally pleasing smile , you may ask, but don't expect.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#2212360 - 04/29/19 07:40 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
David, posting in a Pet Peeves thread is a way to blow off a little steam (even that is a strong term for it......i know i posted in there about refrigerators....at the end of the day, if you want to move my sandwich to a different shelf...move it...i'll be ok....i wouldn't dream of making any sort of big issue out of it at work because it simply isn't that big of a deal.....so there's no need to have a discussion about it with anyone at work). I do not believe that posting humerous items in a BOL thread equates to being a "bad team member".

I don't believe a single person in here is saying that being a good team member is a bad thing...i'd just like to see some empirical evidence that bowling and drinking suds with your workmates has any effect good or bad on "corporate culture". I see my fellow workers at least 40 hours a week....as the old Harold & The Blue Notes tune goes, if we don't know each other by now, we will never never know each other.

#2212366 - 04/29/19 08:10 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" David Dickinson
Q Offline
We have a Christmas party with spouses/significant others - and again, it's mandatory.

Nothing says party and fun like requirement to be there

#2212367 - 04/29/19 08:12 PM Re: REQUIRED "Team Building" Anonymous
Q Offline
And after hour team building isn't going to make the pet peeves stop. Just because you bonded with someone while bowling doesn't mean that certain behavior will not still annoy you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale