Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2212421 - 04/30/19 02:38 PM Savannah, GA
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
My wife and I along with our kids (5 and 10) are going to Savannah on vacation in just under 2 months. Any suggestions? I've searched Google and have identified a few interesting things to do. But any first-hand suggestions for attractions and/or places to eat in Savannah or surrounding areas would be most welcome.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2212426 - 04/30/19 03:24 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I haven't been there in a few years, but you've picked a gorgeous place to go on vacation!

Return to Top
#2212471 - 04/30/19 05:45 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I'm biased, but I'd suggest bypassing Savannah and going to Charleston. But, if I can't convince you of that, then I will tell you that Savannah is a pretty nice destination too. Tybee Island for beach access. Plenty of good places to eat downtown along the riverfront. A number of beautiful parks throughout downtown. Riverboat cruise. Day trip to Jeckyll Island (brithplace of the Federal Reserve Bank) is also very nice.

Return to Top
#2212479 - 04/30/19 06:26 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
The kids will love the candy shop on the riverfront - so will you! There's also the Ghost tours at night in a carriage . Make Reservations if you want to go to Paula Deen's restaurant. Jekyll Island is one of my favorite places in the world. There is a wonderful book store, and fudge shoppe, and other little arts and crafts type of shops in the small, historical "downtown" area.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2212482 - 04/30/19 06:32 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Flyboy - reservations already made, paid in advance, and nonrefundable! smile

Walden - candy shop on the riverfront sounds like kids' definition of Heaven! (Dad's as well...maybe haha)

Return to Top
#2212484 - 04/30/19 06:35 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
as someone who lives in the deep south, i often question the wisdom of anyone who chooses to come here during the summer with our 100% humidity and 90+ degree days...but anyway...(you may also question my wisdom about still living in the deep south for so long, but NOLA gets in your blood and it is difficult to leave)

Realizing that work/school/life/etc often dictates when one can vacation, Savannah is a beautiful town, but i spent only a brief time there 20+ years ago, so probably don't have much to offer by way of what is available now. however, http://www.savannah.com/ is a great place to start, go to the activities tab for some great ideas.

Return to Top
#2212487 - 04/30/19 06:44 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
burkemi - my husband loved the gophers in said candy shop. Check them out!

Return to Top
#2212497 - 04/30/19 07:42 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My family used to vacation at Jekyll ever summer...for like a long weekend...daddy was a workaholic. But in all those years, I never knew this!
Jekyll Island (brithplace of the Federal Reserve Bank)

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2212500 - 04/30/19 07:54 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
It's been a several years ago, but I think my son (now in college) was maybe 6 or 7 when we were last there. We went to a historic restaurant not far from the riverfront that had something to do with pirates, and my son enjoyed that. We took a river cruise ("dolphin cruise") which was fun. Tybee was nice for the beach. There is a fort somewhere between Savannah and Tybee (if my memory is any good) that my husband particularly enjoyed...but be prepared for sand gnats if you go there! On one visit, we took a trolley tour, which was a good way to see a lot of the architecture, etc. Plantation tours are also really interesting, but I'm not sure that's the case for a 5 year old. The riverfront is enjoyable, lots of shops and lots of boat traffic to watch. We did eat at Paula Deen's place, but back then you couldn't make reservations, you had to wait in a LOOOONNNNNGGG line outside to get in. It was good but if it weren't for the "celebrity" factor, I probably would not have thought it was worth the long wait we endured. Glad that they accept reservations now.

Return to Top
#2212504 - 04/30/19 08:27 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Yes, Joker! Jekyll Island was the vacation spot for the very wealthy long time ago. The folks who created the FRB met there at the Jekyll Island Club to discuss how to fix the banking system and they formed the FRB. Jekyll Island and the Federal Reserve

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2212540 - 05/01/19 01:16 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
thanks Walden, an interesting read. I worked for the Fed for 12 years and never knew that...

Return to Top
#2212541 - 05/01/19 01:20 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
perhaps they should meet again

CAMS

Return to Top
#2212587 - 05/01/19 06:08 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I was there last summer and loved it. Listed above are all great suggestions, be sure to go out to Tybee Island, and go to Leopolds for some great ice cream.

Enjoy!

Return to Top
#2212612 - 05/01/19 08:22 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Paula Deen's = Overrated. In my opinion, anyway.

Return to Top
#2212782 - 05/03/19 03:36 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks everyone!

Return to Top
#2212821 - 05/03/19 08:06 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Portermi, CRCM Offline
New Poster
The East
You could just go to Charleston like I recommended years ago.

Return to Top
#2212842 - 05/04/19 04:53 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
We went to Savannah and Charleston last September and really enjoyed it. Eat at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room in Savannah. We stopped at Hilton Head and walked around Coligny Beach, drove to Harbor Town on the island and took a dolphin cruise. The next day, toured Fort Pulaski on our way to Tybee Island. Eat at Crab Shack on Tybee. In Charleston, we took a Harbor Tour and visited Boon Hall Plantation. Be sure to listen to the Gullah woman at the Plantation. Did a Carriage ride through Charleston and toured Magnolia Plantation. Walk along the Waterfront Park and see the Pineapple Fountain. Kitchen 208 is a fun place to have breakfast. Folly Beach was fun and the Charleston Tea Plantation is interesting. You can drink all the tea you want while you are there. We didn't have any trouble with bugs and the heat was what we were used to at home.

Return to Top
#2215834 - 06/17/19 01:53 PM Re: Savannah, GA burkemi
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We just booked an anniversary trip to Tybee Island! Looking forward to trying some the places mentioned!

Return to Top