Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2212814 - 05/03/19 07:26 PM Venmo
VMack Online
Platinum Poster
Texas
A customer used Venmo to buy an Xbox from another person and has not received the Xbox and that person has now deleted their Venmo account.

Venmo is a P2P app used to transfer money to/from people you know and the terms and conditions/users agreement states that you cannot use a personal Venmo account to purchase concert tickets, electronic equipment, sneakers, watches, etc. from other personal accounts.

The person selling the Xbox, did so from a personal Venmo account and not a Merchant Account; therefore, the bank does not have chargeback rights through MC. Are we required to give him his money back since he did not comply with the users agreement?

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2212815 - 05/03/19 07:36 PM Re: Venmo VMack
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The customer authorized the transfer and was charged the correct amount. This transaction does not meet the definition of an electronic funds transfer error. As you already noted, there are no chargeback rights for 'merchandise not received' since the customer did not make the purchase direct from a merchant using the debit card.

In this case, the customer received the requested service from the merchant. The customer asked Venmo to transfer money and Venmo did so.

The bank can deny a Reg E claim on the basis that the transaction does not meet the definition of an electronic funds transfer error.

Return to Top
#2212822 - 05/03/19 08:07 PM Re: Venmo VMack
VMack Online
Platinum Poster
Texas
Thank you Brian. That makes perfect sense. I appreciate your response.

Return to Top
#2212833 - 05/03/19 09:32 PM Re: Venmo VMack
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Buyer beware. I completely agree with Brian. As a side note, why do customers feel that the bank should eat the loss because they made a poor decision? The bank did nothing wrong.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2212836 - 05/03/19 09:53 PM Re: Venmo VMack
VMack Online
Platinum Poster
Texas
Yes! I agree Andy.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z