Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2213432 - 05/13/19 03:45 PM Fair Collection of Debt
Jesenia - Compliance Offline
I was wondering if anyone has any guidance on fair lending laws regarding a small creditor collecting on a past due loan. I know Reg B says we may not discriminate in the collection procedures. and I know that the Fair Debt Collections Procedures Act exempts lenders who collect their own debt as the definition of "debt collector". But I’m thinking specifically when a bank is working with a customer and we can’t treat customer A different than customer b.
Last edited by Jesenia - Compliance; 05/13/19 03:52 PM.
Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#2213485 - 05/13/19 10:57 PM Re: Fair Collection of Debt Jesenia - Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
But I’m thinking specifically when a bank is working with a customer and we can’t treat customer A different than customer b.

Would that not be the potential violation of Reg B that you already mentioned?

Return to Top
#2213667 - 05/15/19 04:55 PM Re: Fair Collection of Debt Jesenia - Compliance
Yes, Reg B applies to the collection procedures because of Fair Lending regardless of not fitting the actual definition of a "debt collector" (regardless if the bank collects on their own debts).

Return to Top
#2213685 - 05/15/19 06:02 PM Re: Fair Collection of Debt Jesenia - Compliance
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
I guess I'm not sure what your question is. What kind of further guidance are you looking for? Are you looking for what the prohibited bases are? Are you looking for guidance on what constitutes disparate impact in collections? Are you looking for resources?

You can't discriminate (i.e. "treat customer A different than customer b") based on "race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, or age (provided that the applicant has the capacity to enter into a binding contract); the fact that all or part of the applicant's income derives from any public assistance program; or the fact that the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act or any state law upon which an exemption has been granted by the Bureau" under Reg B.

I'm not actually sure if FHA applies to collections if it's a mortgage, but I wouldn't treat anyone differently based on Familial Status or Disability either.

Return to Top
#2213720 - 05/15/19 07:50 PM Re: Fair Collection of Debt Jesenia - Compliance
I guess I was looking for a resource on best practices when it comes to collection actions by a lender which incorporates fair lending.

Return to Top