Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2214230 - 05/22/19 09:25 PM Strapping Cash for Customer
Q Offline
I swear I have seen this topic before but am unable to find:

We had a customer come into our bank with a bag full of cash (over $50k). He asked the tellers if they could strap the cash for him. he then put the money into his safe deposit box. An investigation into this due to things he said is going to be open but do we need to file a CTR? There was nothing deposited into any account which leads me to say no but the fact that the cash was strapped by frontline makes me question it. Thank you

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2214232 - 05/22/19 09:39 PM Re: Strapping Cash for Customer Q
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
From the FFIEC Manual:

"A bank must electronically file a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) for each transaction in currency (deposit, withdrawal, exchange, or other payment or transfer) of more than $10,000..." (emphasis added)

To me, that's not a transaction and a CTR isn't required.

Return to Top
#2214237 - 05/22/19 10:09 PM Re: Strapping Cash for Customer Q
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I am all for providing excellent customer service, but since we are not supposed to know what a customer has in their safe deposit box, nor would I want to open my tellers up to a claim from the customer if he later claims money is missing, I would have politely provided some cash straps to the customer and led him to a private room where he could strap the currency himself.

To answer the question asked, no CTR.

Return to Top
#2214245 - 05/23/19 02:56 AM Re: Strapping Cash for Customer Q
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z