Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2202610 - 01/10/19 06:13 PM App withdrawn - do not have income
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
How do we report for HMDA if we do not have a number for income (but our policy would have required for it to be considered for a credit decision to be made)?

Seems like "NA" does not fit exactly, but $0 is an actual number and would seem like the person did not have income (vs. we don't know what their income is).

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2202622 - 01/10/19 07:01 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I think your only option is NA. As you noted $0 would not be correct.

Return to Top
#2202629 - 01/10/19 07:13 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
I am kind of arriving to the same conclusion. Except that the comments do not seem to cover this situation at all. But I am also not seeing another option. Can it be such a rare occurrence that nobody has raised it?

Return to Top
#2202653 - 01/10/19 08:50 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
5. Income data—credit decision not made. Section 1003.4(a)(10)(iii) requires a financial institution to report the gross annual income relied on in processing the application if a credit decision was not made. For example, assume an institution received an application that included an applicant's self-reported income, but the application was withdrawn before a credit decision that would have considered income was made. The financial institution reports the income information relied on in processing the application at the time that the application was withdrawn or the file was closed for incompleteness.

Since it sounds like a credit decision was not made in your scenario, i think this applies. You can't rely on a figure that you do not have. I think NA is your only choice, as Carolina Blue said.

Return to Top
#2202654 - 01/10/19 08:55 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
I have been going in circles because of the NA having such strict instructions and this not falling under any one of them. But it does not sound like I am missing anything, it just isn't there.

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201511_cfpb_hmda-reporting-not-applicable.pdf

Instructions to report NA for Income:

 Covered loans or applications for which the credit decision did not consider, or would not have considered income,
§ 1003.4(a)(10)(iii); Comment 4(a)(10)(iii)-6;
 Covered loans or applications when applicant or co-applicant is not a natural person, Comment 4(a)(10)(iii)-7;
 Covered loan is secured by, or application is proposed to be secured by, a multifamily dwelling, Comment
4(a)(10)(iii)-8;
 Purchased covered loans for which the financial institution chooses not to report the income, Comment
4(a)(10)(iii)-9;
 Covered loan to, or an application from, the institution’s employees to protect their privacy, even if the institution
relied on their income in making the credit decision, Comment 4(a)(10)(iii)-3

Return to Top
#2202655 - 01/10/19 08:58 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think the first bullet point is your answer...."did not consider...income". You can't consider it if you don't have it.

Return to Top
#2202657 - 01/10/19 09:01 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
But that comment is referring to a when a credit decision IS made.

Return to Top
#2202662 - 01/10/19 09:10 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
Exactly why I am spinning in a circle here, raitchjay!

Return to Top
#2202663 - 01/10/19 09:12 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I'm in the NA camp because you did not rely on income. I don't think the "credit decision" wording is absolute. They could have withdrawn right away - before you made a decision.

Return to Top
#2202695 - 01/11/19 12:50 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I too agree with reporting NA - you just don't have any other options (for this entry).

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2204952 - 02/04/19 04:43 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Felica Offline
New Poster
If we have withdrawn applications, do we put NA in the Intro Rate period?

Return to Top
#2204955 - 02/04/19 05:06 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Assuming a credit decision was not made, yes, you list the rate as NA for withdrawn applications. If you made a credit decision (and are reporting it as approved but not accepted), then you list the rate.

2. Applications. In the case of an application, § 1003.4(a)(21) requires a financial institution to report the applicable interest rate only if the application has been approved by the financial institution but not accepted by the borrower. In such cases, a financial institution reports the interest rate applicable at the time that the application was approved by the financial institution. A financial institution may report the interest rate appearing on the disclosure provided pursuant to 12 CFR 1026.19(e) or (f) if such disclosure accurately reflects the interest rate at the time the application was approved. For applications that have been denied or withdrawn, or files closed for incompleteness, a financial institution reports that no interest rate was applicable to the application.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2204960 - 02/04/19 05:34 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Adam Witmer
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Adam, I believe they are asking about the introductory rate period, not interest rate. You need to report introductory rate period for all applications. You will only have NA if the person applied for a fixed rate loan (or purchased a reportable fixed rate loan).

Return to Top
#2204976 - 02/04/19 07:12 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
You are correct, Carolina Blue. Good catch as I somehow missed the "period" at the end of the sentence. wink

My answer was for the interest rate, and Carolina gave you the correct answer for the rate period.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2214754 - 06/03/19 02:09 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Any thoughts on what to do if terms were not really applied for at the time of the withdrawal, i.e. let's say that the applicant didn't mark whether they wanted an ARM or a Fixed Rate? In such a case one doesn't really have the information to accurately complete the Intro Rate field, but "NA" does not seem to be allowed for other than when the application is for a fixed rate loan.

Return to Top
#2214759 - 06/03/19 02:56 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
If the CFPB doesn't come out with some sort of comment about withdrawn applications where the information was not determined prior to withdrawal, I'll be very surprised. It's a glaring hole right now that has an obvious answer (NA).

I'll also say that you should really look to see if you actually have an application v. prequalification if you don't know the income or don't know the product that the person is applying for. It's up to the FI to determine application procedures, but I would think most would require income to be an application.

2. Prequalification. A prequalification request is a request by a prospective loan applicant (other than a request for preapproval) for a preliminary determination on whether the prospective loan applicant would likely qualify for credit under an institution's standards, or for a determination on the amount of credit for which the prospective applicant would likely qualify. Some institutions evaluate prequalification requests through a procedure that is separate from the institution's normal loan application process; others use the same process. In either case, Regulation C does not require an institution to report prequalification requests on the loan/application register, even though these requests may constitute applications under Regulation B for purposes of adverse action notices.

Return to Top
#2214819 - 06/03/19 09:09 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Inherent_Risk
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Agreed, and that was my consideration as well that you could potentially say no application really exists. Not much you can do with these as the Regulation is currently stipulated.
Last edited by Compliance NABW; 06/03/19 09:10 PM.
Return to Top
#2214833 - 06/04/19 12:30 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
For HMDA purposes the lack of income would not make the application a prequalification, it would simply make it an incomplete application and HMDA would require you to report the disposition of that incomplete application as either withdrawn, denied or closed for incompleteness whichever the case may be.

Return to Top
#2214836 - 06/04/19 12:52 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Agree with Dan. Call it an incomplete application. Someone should have sent a Notice of Incompleteness or at least made a verbal request for the missing info.

Return to Top
#2214850 - 06/04/19 01:41 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Are you saying an institution can't establish their application process to require income for an inquiry/prequalification to transition to an application for HMDA/ECOA purposes? Or just that there is no HMDA/ECOA specific requirement for income (like TRID)?

Return to Top
#2214854 - 06/04/19 01:54 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You can require income as a condition for a "complete" application but you cannot require it as a condition for having an application.

You only need income in order to make your credit decision (the complete application). If you require income to make your credit decision and the applicant failed to provide their income then you have an incomplete application but you have an application nonetheless.

Return to Top
#2215036 - 06/05/19 06:33 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
What would you consider the line between inquiry/prequalification and application? Does a creditor have any flexibility to require certain information before an application is tripped?

Return to Top
#2215055 - 06/05/19 08:00 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
This is a complex topic that I spend 2 hours teaching in a webinar. It's difficult to answer it fully here but let me try. The "flexibility" that Reg B & C talk about ("made in accordance with procedures") isn't so much about what info you need as it is about the channel of delivery. For instance, will you allow verbal applications or do they have to be in writing? Read A.1. below carefully.

This is from our training outline on Reg B:

A. Application (General):
Application means an oral or written request for an extension of credit that is made in accordance with procedures used by a creditor for the type of credit requested. [§1002.2(f)] In other words, in some circumstances, informal inquiries, whether verbal or in writing, must be treated as an application pursuant to Regulation B. [FDIC FIL 35-96]

The definition of "application" in HMDA is:
…means an oral or written request for a covered loan that is made in accordance with procedures used by a financial institution for the type of credit requested. [§1003.2(b)(1)]

Reg C says nothing about a "completed application." It does say in the preamble to Reg C that Reg B's definition of application is similar. Since Reg C doesn't provide any more guidance on applications or completed applications, let look more at Reg B.

1. Procedures Used:
…refers to the actual practices followed by a creditor for making credit decisions as well as its stated application procedures. For example, if a creditor's stated policy is to require all applications to be in writing on the creditor's application form, but the creditor also makes credit decisions based on oral requests, the creditor's procedures are to accept both oral and written applications. [Commentary to §1002.2(f) #2]

2. Lender Flexibility:
[/I]A creditor has the latitude under the regulation to establish its own application process and to decide the type and amount of information it will require from credit applicants[/I] (for a complete application). [Commentary to §1002.2(f) #1]

3. Requirements Triggered by an Application:
The following (when applicable) are triggered by an application, not necessarily a “completed application”:

a. Joint Applicant Intent to Apply Documentation

b. Demographic Information Collection

c. Appraisal Notice and Free Copy

B. Completed Application:
A completed application means an application in connection with which a creditor has received all the information that the creditor regularly obtains and considers in evaluating applications for the amount and type of credit requested… [§1002.2(f)] …as long as prospective applicants are being encouraged to proceed, lenders have reasonable discretion in defining what constitutes an application (completed). [FDIC FIL 35-96]

1. Examples of Information (Regularly Obtained and Considered):

a. Credit Reports
b. Additional Applicant Information
c. Third Party Reports (W-2, Pay Stub, Tax Return, Purchase Agreement, Appraisal, Title, etc.)
d. Third Party Approvals

For example, within the flexibility provided by Regulation B (NOT TRID), some lenders might consider prequalification certificates to constitute an application, while others might require a borrower to have a contract to purchase a property and file a formal written application in order to generate an application. [FDIC FIL 35-96]

2. Lender Responsibility:
The creditor shall exercise reasonable diligence in obtaining such information (to complete the application). [§1002.2(f)] [/I]For example, the creditor should request information from third parties, such as a credit report, promptly after receiving the application. If additional information is needed from the applicant, such as an address or a telephone number to verify employment, the creditor should contact the applicant promptly. [/I][Commentary to §1002.2(f) #6]

---------------------

Please read and study what I've pasted above. Words in italics are verbatim. Non-italics represents our comments to help you understand.

You ask where's the "line" between an inquiry/prequalificaiton and application. An inquiry is where you are answering policy, not telling someone yes or no. An application is where you have enough info to say yes or no to their request.

A prequalficaiton is an adjective - not a noun. You can have a prequalifiation inquiry or a prequalfication application.
For example:
1. How much home can I afford? The LO responds by describing DTI & LTV requirements without telling the person if they qualify or saying yes or no to them. That's a prequalificaiton inquiry.
2. How much home can I afford? The LO responds by saying "based on what I've seen, I don't think you can afford any home." That's an application and it triggers a denial. If the LO responded by saying "I think you can afford a home up to $X. Let us know when you find a house" then that's a prequalification application that was approved. It's an incomplete application because you don't have the house yet, however.

Return to Top
#2215057 - 06/05/19 08:26 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Any written or oral request for credit is an application under Reg. B. Reg. B gives you the flexibility in your procedures for accepting applications and what you would consider a "complete application". It does not give you the flexibility to say you do not have a credit application simply because the applicant left a piece of information, such as income, off the application form.

The procedural example Reg B gives is your policy states all your requests for credit must be in writing on your FI's credit application but you also will make credit decisions based on an oral request. Your procedure for accepting applications is both written and oral.

Using the income as a condition for an application because that is one of the 6 items listed for TRID is not applicable for Reg. B. TRID only says you do not have an application for disclosure purposes if any of the 6 items are missing. But Reg. B does not require any of those items for you to have an application subject its rules.

(f) Application means an oral or written request for an extension of credit that is made in accordance with procedures used by a creditor for the type of credit requested.

So what are your "procedures" for accepting credit applications? Mail, internet, telephone, fax, in person, etc.

Again you can require whatever verification information you need to make the credit decision for it to be a completed application but as I said an incomplete application submitted according to your procedures for accepting an application is still an application.

We do not treat prequalifications any differently in our application procedures other than for HMDA reporting.

Return to Top
#2215091 - 06/06/19 01:42 PM Re: App withdrawn - do not have income Compli(cated)
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
You both seem to be limiting the procedures for accepting applications to the channel in which they are received, but I'm still not clear on how you are defining the line between application and inquiry/prequalification in a practical sense. If the bank has procedures to only provide policy information until they receive certain information, then isn't that the same as defining an application as requiring that information?

Let me run a few scenarios of Bank- Consumer interactions, if you don't mind, to try and get this more clear in my head. Assume the bank takes applications in person and from mail, internet, telephone, and fax.

1) Consumer walks into a branch and tells the LO they want a home loan. LO asks them for some information including their SSN to pull credit. The borrower refuses and leaves.
2) Consumer walks into a branch and tells the LO they want a home loan. LO asks the borrower to fill out an application. Borrower fills most of it out but leaves the SSN off the app. LO states that they need a SSN to pull credit and evaluate. Borrower refuses.
3) Same scenario, but a mailed in application without a SSN. LO calls the borrower to request the SSN. They refuse.
4) Consumer calls an LO and requests a home loan. The loan officer gets the name, estimated value, and SSN (pulls credit) from the consumer and tells the consumer the loan amount, rate, and other terms of credit the consumer could qualify for under various loan programs, then tells the borrower they will need an income and address to move forward. Borrower does not provide them.
5) Consumer faxes in a handwritten request for a home loan with a lengthy description of why they need a home loan, but without any of the information required to evaluate an application.
6) Same scenario above, but an LO reaches out to the borrower and discusses general information about home loans and requests further information. The borrower says he'll call back with information, but does not.
7) Same as above, but borrower provides some, but not all, information requested.
8) Bank has an online portal that specifically does not ask for a property address. Is it a HMDA application once it is submitted? Can the Bank define these as prequalification requests until an address is obtained?

This has always been a grey area for me, so any help here is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: Because I don't know how to count. (Second #3 renumbered to #8) Sorry!
Last edited by Inherent_Risk; 06/06/19 04:32 PM.
Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2