Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2215096 - 06/06/19 02:12 PM Naming a POD on a Representative Payee Account
Jo Offline
Can a Representative Payee add a Trust Account as the beneficiary of the Representative Payee Bank account?

Return to Top
#2215098 - 06/06/19 02:14 PM Re: Naming a POD on a Representative Payee Account Jo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Allowable POD designations are a State law issue.

Return to Top
#2215143 - 06/06/19 04:38 PM Re: Naming a POD on a Representative Payee Account Jo
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I think that's why they posted in the MA forum to see if anyone form MA knew. I personally don't know. You could reach out to MA Bankers Assoc, they can probably help.

Return to Top
#2215155 - 06/06/19 05:08 PM Re: Naming a POD on a Representative Payee Account Jo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well - duh - sorry, I didn't even see that this was in the MA State - my humble apologies.

Return to Top
#2215208 - 06/07/19 11:50 AM Re: Naming a POD on a Representative Payee Account Jo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Representative Payee accounts are a form of fiduciary account that's created under and to some extent limited by Social Security Administration rules. In general, a fiduciary doesn't have the authority to make gifting decisions (absent specific authority given in, for example, a power of attorney). Gifting decisions are not included in the SSA's description of a Rep Payee's actions.

Add to that the fact that the beneficiary of the SSA funds is not necessarily incompetent under state law, and, if not incompetent, would have the right to name his/her own POD beneficiary for funds under his/her own control. But the Rep Payee account is not under the SSA beneficiary's control, so that route is blocked.

With that as background, I'd say it's not something that can be done. The SSA beneficiary whose funds are in the Rep Payee account should discuss the question with competent legal counsel.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett