Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2221105 - 09/06/19 05:48 PM Re: summer travel plans? RVFlyboy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted by RVFlyboy
Don't think I reported back on our experience with Oshkosh in July. It was a fantastic trip and everything I was hoping for from an aviation perspective. We spent five days on the field seeing thousands of planes as well as hundreds of aviation-related vendors, and attending classes and workshops. Miles and miles of walking (averaged about 20,000 steps per day). Camping beside the plane each night for five nights and waking up and doing some more. Got most of my questions answered on what I'm going to need and a plan of action for upgrading my panel to IFR and glass. Spending time with thousands of other pilots and aviation enthusiasts. Airshows every day, including appearances by both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. Night air show on Wed night (didn't stay for the Sat night airshow), including the best fireworks display I've ever seen. If you are interested in photos, here's a link to EAA's photos - the first 30 pages are from this year's show - https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaairventureoshkosh/page1. Over 10,000 airplanes at KOSH and surrounding airports. Attendance over 645,000 over the seven days of the show. Can't wait for next July to do it all over again.

BTW, if you want to see my airplane at Oshkosh, go to this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaairventureoshkosh/48357848187/
In the upper left quadrant, you'll see two large yellow shower trailers. Just to the right of those trailers (as you are looking at them) and just toward the bottom of the picture from them, you'll see a small yellow and white plane parked next to a maroon and white plane. The yellow and white plane is my RV-6A.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2221211 - 09/09/19 06:58 PM Re: summer travel plans? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Jim - i would imagine with over 10,000 planes the logistics of take off and landing must be crazy...to you have to schedule ahead with an approximate time of arrival?

Return to Top
#2221491 - 09/12/19 05:57 PM Re: summer travel plans? HappyGilmore
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Happy, no scheduling (other than for IFR flight plan arrivals, and those are relatively rare) needed. There is a very tightly orchestrated arrival procedure that everyone is supposed to fly that is published a couple of months in advance of the event. It basically involves everyone coming in get into a conga line 1/2 mile apart nose to tail flying at 1,800' and at a speed not to exceed 90kts at a point about 20 miles away and all flying the same specified route with air traffic control guidance along the way. You have to experience it to fully appreciate it but if you Google "Fisk Arrival" and look at the videos that come up, there are some pretty cool ones.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3