BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2215076 - 06/05/19 11:11 PM Reg E/Error Resolution question
danyielg Offline
Gold Star
danyielg
OK
My customer used an online 3rd party to book a motel with his debit card. He says the online photos misrepresented the motel and the room was not what he expected. He has contacted the 3rd party and the motel directly with no resolution. Is this a valid Reg E claim?

What documentation can I request from the customer if I do have to file a claim?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2215077 - 06/05/19 11:22 PM Re: Reg E/Error Resolution question danyielg
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The customer authorized the charge and was charged the correct amount. This claim does not meet one of the definitions of an EFT error in 1005.11(a) and you can deny a claim on that basis

VISA/MC may provide a chargeback right using the "Not as described" chargeback reason, but prior to exercising this right, the customer must make an attempt to resolve the dispute directly with the merchant and provide (to your satisfaction) sufficient documentation to demonstrate that the merchant did not provide the services advertised. The customer must provide you with a dispute letter that outlines their efforts to resolve with the merchant and the merchant's response.

This could any pictures the customer took of the accommodations compared to the website, a description of what was promised vs. what was delivered, etc.

At first glance, this sounds like a case of buyer's remorse for which neither Reg E nor V/MC provide any protections. I would want very solid documentation before attempting a chargeback. Rather than spending the $$$ on a chargeback, it may also be worth dropping a dime to call the merchant directly to get their side of the story prior to filing.

Return to Top
#2215100 - 06/06/19 02:28 PM Re: Reg E/Error Resolution question BrianC
danyielg Offline
Gold Star
danyielg
OK
Thank you so much Brian smile I always appreciate your advice

Return to Top
#2215376 - 06/11/19 02:03 AM Re: Reg E/Error Resolution question BrianC
danyielg Offline
Gold Star
danyielg
OK
The customer is claiming dispute for "not as described" because the photos of the motel that the 3rd party was advertising were much better than the motel really was. She never went to the motel, but by looking on the motel website, came to the conclusion that it was not as nice as the 3rd party was portraying it to be. The only documentation she sent was confirmation of the reservation, and a receipt for her stay at another motel. No photos or screenshots of the motel. What would you do?

Return to Top
#2215382 - 06/11/19 03:55 AM Re: Reg E/Error Resolution question danyielg
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Nothing. The customer should have done their research prior to booking the motel or cancelled the reservation according to the third party's terms and conditions. This dispute is between the cardholder and the merchant.

Return to Top
#2215489 - 06/11/19 11:46 PM Re: Reg E/Error Resolution question BrianC
danyielg Offline
Gold Star
danyielg
OK
perfect! thanks again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett