Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2215742 - 06/14/19 01:53 PM Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank
MBTCompliance Offline
Gold Star
We have a business customer with a stamp used for endorsing checks that begins with something to this effect "Pay to the Order of Bank name for deposit only into Business account number..."

We have never seen this before starting with "pay to the order of Bank name." Would this be acceptable, or should we order another stamp for this customer?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2215788 - 06/14/19 05:57 PM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank MBTCompliance
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
The reason you have never seen it before is because it is nonsense. Unless the check is made payable to the bank and it is going into a bank controlled account it is not an accurate endorsement stamp.

Return to Top
#2215789 - 06/14/19 06:04 PM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank RockChucker, CAMS
MBTCompliance Offline
Gold Star
I realize I left out part of what the endorsement says...the business name is also mentioned, along with the business account number. So, it says "Pay to the Order of Bank name for deposit only into Business name and account number..."

Return to Top
#2215796 - 06/14/19 07:06 PM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank MBTCompliance
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Well that makes more sense but I'm still not a fan of the part that says Pay to the Order of "Bank".

Return to Top
#2215825 - 06/15/19 03:29 AM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank MBTCompliance
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I've seen similar endorsement stamps throughout my career- but it is somewhat antiquated.

Return to Top
#2215827 - 06/15/19 02:53 PM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank MBTCompliance
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
I believe the bank name is there because they provide the stamp and it implies that the deposit will be made to the business account at that bank.

Return to Top
#2215881 - 06/17/19 07:23 PM Re: Business Check Endorsed Pay to the Order of Bank MBTCompliance
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
That's the standard format for rubber stamp indorsements that I saw during 30 years in banking. There are others, to be sure, but there's nothing strange about it. It's a special/restrictive indorsement that identifies the transferee and what the transferee is to do with the check.
Last edited by John Burnett; 06/17/19 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett