Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2215683 - 06/13/19 05:46 PM MLA Status for prior date
Josh-CarMax Offline
New Poster
We recently noticed an error on an MLA Status Certificate that was pulled on date of application. Is there any way to obtain the status date for an individual for a date in the past? Or is that even required? Can we feel good if we re-run the MLA check on the DOD site today?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2215703 - 06/13/19 07:06 PM Re: MLA Status for prior date Josh-CarMax
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
You can't do a look back to determine if they are covered. This is from the Act.

Note: Historic lookbacks are prohibited under the rule. After a consumer has entered into a transaction or established an account, a creditor (including an assignee) may not, directly or indirectly, obtain any information from the DoD database to determine whether a consumer had been a covered borrower as of the date of a transaction or the date an account was established.

Return to Top
#2215823 - 06/14/19 10:16 PM Re: MLA Status for prior date Josh-CarMax
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If the error was on the part of the DMDC and its data you made a good faith effort to complete the verification and have a safe harbor. If the error was on the part of the bank, wrong name, spelling or SSAN error, you can't un-ring that bell. It is a date sensitive issue and you cannot go back and make necessary disclosures now which were not made but should have been. If you treated a borrower as not covered when they are, the loan has risks for noncompliance and you could face issues if challenged.

If that is the case I would tag that file as such and to a large degree help the borrower whenever possible on this credit.

You can't really pull a new credit report if you have no reason. Technically you could say you have an existing relationship and use that as a reason but when asked "why" and the answer is "to see if we screwed up" is not a good reason. You could check the DMDC database directly. I've not used it before as I'm not a lender so ensure there is no agreement as to allowed reasons for access. You don't want to make a situation worse.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z