Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2216242 - 06/21/19 02:33 PM Bank Sign
Banker57 Offline
Gold Star
Minnesota
Regarding an outside sign, attached to the building with the bank name only - is Member FDIC required? It is not an advertisment simply a 'we are here' sign. I am thinking since it is not a "advertisement" including the FDIC info is not needed. However the more threads I read,I find conflicting information. Reading the reg I only see a reference to advertising. Anyone help clear this up?
thank you,

Return to Top
Marketing
#2216250 - 06/21/19 04:28 PM Re: Bank Sign Banker57
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
You mean the sign that labels your bank is there? We don't use the symbol, have yet to see a Bank that does externally when referring to the sign that is your name that tells people that's where you are located.

Return to Top
#2216299 - 06/22/19 04:41 AM Re: Bank Sign Banker57
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
You stated the sign is attached to the building, the statement is not required.

(d)Types of advertisements which do not require the official advertising statement. The following types of advertisements do not require use of the official advertising statement:

(3) Signs or plates in the insured depository institution offices or attached to the building or buildings in which such offices are located;

Return to Top
#2256040 - 06/28/21 03:37 PM Re: Bank Sign Inspector
travelgirl1 Offline
What if the sign is not attached to the building but rather sits along the road? I'm inclined to still say 'no' to including Member FDIC.

Further, some of the bank's offices also have an affiliate insurance agency within the bank (separated by a separate entrance within the lobby or a distinct separate by walls, cabinets, etc.). Having a sign along the road which says "Member FDIC" would muddy the waters for those offices with an insurance agency....another reason to not include it.

IMO, this is likely very low risk too.
Last edited by travelgirl1; 06/28/21 03:46 PM.
Return to Top
#2256052 - 06/28/21 05:34 PM Re: Bank Sign Banker57
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
(d) Types of advertisements which do not require the official advertising statement. The following types of advertisements do not require use of the official advertising statement:

(3) Signs or plates in the insured depository institution offices or attached to the building or buildings in which such offices are located;

A sign by the road is not exempt from the Member FDIC requirement.

I am not sure how an insurance affiliate entered into the discussion. Advertising a bank is not advertising an insurance affiliate unless it would be a very specific sign identifying the insurance affiliate.

Return to Top
#2256054 - 06/28/21 05:53 PM Re: Bank Sign rlcarey
travelgirl1 Offline
Thanks Randy.

The insurance part came in because the bank building has an insurance company affiliate within it. If we have "Member FDIC" on the sign along the road (which it sounds like we need it), I didn't want to give the perception that all activities (such as deposit accounts) are FDIC insured, which they are not due to the insurance business. I may be thinking too hard on this.

Return to Top
#2256057 - 06/28/21 06:26 PM Re: Bank Sign Banker57
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you have a sign by the road that says ABC Bank - I assume your insurance company is not called ABC Bank.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker