Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2216492 - 06/26/19 02:11 PM 4th of July plans, anyone?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
travel? staying close to home? taking time off? or sadly, working? frankly, it is way too hot down here to do anything outside...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2216500 - 06/26/19 02:38 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Staying home so that I can try to keep the dogs calm with all of the neighborhood fireworks going off.

Return to Top
#2216508 - 06/26/19 03:04 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Will probably BBQ and swim with some friends during the day. Head home at night with my younger one. The fireworks noise really bothers him since his head injury last year. I'll miss the fireworks but it's worth it for him to feel good obviously.

Return to Top
#2216509 - 06/26/19 03:09 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
NorthSouth Offline
Next week I will be watching the sunset every night from our bay-front beach vacation rental. I anticipate my biggest decisions involve which book to read first and whether to have red or white wine, or perhaps a margarita. A very welcome change from the work grind.

Return to Top
#2216513 - 06/26/19 03:31 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
whether to have red or white wine, or perhaps a margarita

i hate for you to have to make those tough decisions, so you should just have all of them...

Return to Top
#2216533 - 06/26/19 05:03 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
NorthSouth Offline
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
Quote:
whether to have red or white wine, or perhaps a margarita

i hate for you to have to make those tough decisions, so you should just have all of them...

Excellent suggestion! One less decision to make.

Return to Top
#2216536 - 06/26/19 05:08 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? Soccer
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By Soccer
Staying home so that I can try to keep the dogs calm with all of the neighborhood fireworks going off.

Soccer, if you can get it in your area, you should check out hemp honey sticks for your dogs. A friend has a lab that gets extremely upset during thunderstorms and the honey sticks work wonders for him!

Return to Top
#2216541 - 06/26/19 05:27 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Ditto what Soccer said. Our dogs (especially our male) absolutely HATES fireworks and tries to hide under our feet. At 50+ pounds that's a little tough.

Return to Top
#2216558 - 06/26/19 07:24 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
one deer Offline
Any where but work
This Sunday I am going to get two of my grand dogs to take them to our country home to escape in town fireworks noise which they are fearful of. July 4th day off, hope to stay home, hopefully we will be winding down wheat harvest; if fields are dry enough to not get stuck and we don't have major breakdowns. The 6th may have a family get together at my moms bbq and the such. Happy Fourth Y'all!

Return to Top
#2216567 - 06/26/19 08:37 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
TJ and I are taking the family to the beach and we get to celebrate the lil ones 16th birthday. laugh laugh

Return to Top
#2216573 - 06/26/19 08:53 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
We're going to Chicago on the 3rd for the rest of the week for a friend's 25th anniversary party. Only been there for work a couple times so this is our first pleasure visit. Hoping to do all of the touristy things while we're there.
It's a bitter sweet trip in that we usually go the fireworks in a tiny town in Kentucky where they put on the best show of anywhere I've ever been to, and this year is supposed to be the best one ever. Kinda bummed to miss that though.

Return to Top
#2216594 - 06/27/19 11:53 AM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? RR Sarah
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted By RR Sarah
Originally Posted By Soccer

Soccer, if you can get it in your area, you should check out hemp honey sticks for your dogs. A friend has a lab that gets extremely upset during thunderstorms and the honey sticks work wonders for him!

We just purchased Adaptil collars on the recommendation of the Vet. They supposedly release pheromones that make them feel that their mother is close by. We shall see if it works. smile

Return to Top
#2216596 - 06/27/19 12:04 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
We have doggie valium and a thunder shirt for our dog and it's still touch and go during thunderstorms or fireworks. I'm going to look for those hemp sticks and pheromones!

Return to Top
#2216599 - 06/27/19 01:22 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
It's probably too late for mature dogs, but our dog doesn't have issues with fireworks (or thunderstorms, sirens, etc) as my wife bought a "doggy sounds" CD when he was a pup that included almost every loud noise that tends to trigger dogs. We regularly played it (on a low level at first, then louder at times) for him his first year and hasn't had an issue since. The only thing that gets him is the weekly emergency test siren that wasn't on the CD and he didn't experience as a pup since our old town didn't have such a thing.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2216657 - 06/27/19 07:07 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
"LOUD NOISES!!!" - Brick Tamland

Return to Top
#2216665 - 06/27/19 07:32 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Try not to blow up or set on fire anything that I didn't mean too. And try not to spend too much on fireworks.

Return to Top
#2216788 - 07/01/19 03:57 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Going to a wedding late that afternoon. My cousin is getting married that day, so we will attend their ceremony and reception.

Return to Top
#2216800 - 07/01/19 04:37 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
We really need to re-name the holiday the June 15th-July 15th Independence Day/Month celebration to capture the fireworks activities of those in my community.

Return to Top
#2216802 - 07/01/19 04:48 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Jay - I live in a fairly small town, under 9k in people, and fireworks started last weekend and will likely go until the people who spent who knows how much money on them run out...but it will be early august if prior years are any indication...even though city ordinance only allows on July 4 and Jan 1...unless someone is doing after 1:00 AM or started a fire, police just turn a blind eye...not sure if the ongoing fireworks or the neighbors dog barking like crazy as a result of the fireworks is worse...

Return to Top
#2216807 - 07/01/19 04:57 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Actually Happy, you're probably closer to the truth on those dates. I really have no idea why we have laws/ordinances if local law enforcement just picks and chooses which ones to enforce.

Return to Top
#2216842 - 07/01/19 08:54 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My in-laws want us to come up to their place for a cookout (2.5 hr trip) but I'm lobbying to stay home. I detest holiday traffic, and I'd rather be close enough to count noses every time the fireworks & celebratory gunfire sound off nearby.

Return to Top
#2216845 - 07/01/19 08:59 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Will probably go out on the lake to watch the fireworks over the water. Thinking about making a smoked prime rib for dinner that night before the show.

Return to Top
#2216895 - 07/02/19 05:42 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Planning to hang out at the river near home....cookout and play in the water, etc. No fireworks would be just fine by me, but I have some neighbors who spare NO expense and will certainly have a huge display right next door :eyeroll:
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/02/19 05:43 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2216926 - 07/02/19 07:40 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? RR Joker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
It's supposed to storm off and on all day on the 4th so will probably stick close to home. I'll watch the fireworks from my backyard until the mosquitoes get too aggressive.

Return to Top
#2217004 - 07/03/19 05:30 PM Re: 4th of July plans, anyone? HappyGilmore
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We were invited to family, also 2.5 hours away from 6-9 pm. Since I have to work Friday we are going to stay home instead. We live in a fairly small town and out in the country. We can sit on our back porch and watch the firework shows of about 5-6 towns around us as well as those from nearby farms that appear to have bought the whole stand out. Luckily all our dogs are okay with fireworks.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2