Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2217731 - 07/16/19 03:31 PM Employment Application Question
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We currently require job seekers to apply for employment online thru our website. We do not offer a printed application - so if somebody came into the bank asking for an application, we would refer them to our website. Is this an issue? I'm not up on Human Resource rules etc - was just curious because not everybody may have access to a computer. I am currently reviewing our website and one of the questions on the checklist I am using asks whether our online application and printed application mirror each other. When I asked HR about this I was told we do not have printed applications. Thanks!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2217734 - 07/16/19 04:03 PM Re: Employment Application Question Bankwoman1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Makes it tough for people without internet access or the sight impaired to apply for a job I would think. Kind of smacks of subtle potential discrimination.

Return to Top
#2217797 - 07/17/19 12:03 PM Re: Employment Application Question Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Kind of what I was thinking Randy. As a Deposit Compliance Officer, do I make an issue of it? It wouldn't have been something I even worried about if I hadn't been reviewing our website.

Return to Top
#2217801 - 07/17/19 12:31 PM Re: Employment Application Question Bankwoman1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well making "an issue out of it" is probably outside of your direct responsibilities, but someone in the bank must be responsible for HR compliance, whether that is someone over HR or someone else that acts as your auditor. I would probably mention to that person that you noticed this during a routine website review and you just wanted to be sure that the on-line application system was up to ADA standards and met the other OFCCP requirements, etc. I might also reference this website as your bank is a Federal contractor due to the fact that you have FDIC insurance.

https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/faqs/dir281faqs.htm#Q1

The important part would be:

But if a contractor only uses an online application system to accept applications for employment, it must ensure that potential applicants with disabilities either can use the system or can submit an application in a timely manner through alternative means. This includes providing a means to contact the contractor, other than through the online system, to request any reasonable accommodation needed to provide an applicant with a disability an equal opportunity to apply and be considered for the contractor’s jobs.

Return to Top
#2217802 - 07/17/19 12:42 PM Re: Employment Application Question Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thank you Randy! I appreciate your help!

And FYI.....when I said "make an issue out of it", I didn't mean I was going to make a huge scene or "issue" out of it. I just meant should I bring it up with the HR dept. Sometimes the way I say things come out all wrong.....LOL

Thanks again!

Return to Top
#2217804 - 07/17/19 12:58 PM Re: Employment Application Question Bankwoman1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Oh, I know, I was just having a little fun smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry