Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2217985 - 07/18/19 07:12 PM Credit Card Application Record Retention
CU3840 Offline
Need some guidance on credit card record retention - here is a scenario: Reg B 1002.12(b) states applications must be kept on file for 25 months. Business keeps all applications for 7yrs. Business has a detailed policy to destroy applications after 7yrs. What is the risk from a regulator perspective if we are found to have applications on record for more than 7yrs? Can they all be kept on disk/microfilm indefinitely?

Reg B 12CFR 1002.12b
(b) Preservation of records. (1) Applications. For 25 months (12 months for business credit, except as provided in paragraph (b)(5) of this section) after the date that a creditor notifies an applicant of action taken on an application or of incompleteness, the creditor shall retain in original form or a copy thereof:

Return to Top
#2218039 - 07/19/19 03:15 PM Re: Credit Card Application Record Retention CU3840
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Here is my personal opinion on this. I would follow the record retention rules by the regulation and/or state law. Once this date has passed I would destroy the documents. The regulators will not say anything if you are maintaining the records for a longer period of time. For me the main reason to destroy after the retention period is so they could not be subpoenaed into a lawsuit. If you are maintaining them I would think an attorney would request them.

Return to Top
#2218077 - 07/19/19 06:10 PM Re: Credit Card Application Record Retention CU3840
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
However, you ask "can they be kept". Yes, they can. Should you keep them indefinitely? osucpa provides good advise. I recommend not keeping documents beyond the retention period too.

However, make sure you look beyond Reg B. There are many other regulations that may apply that require retention beyond 12/25 months. For instance, BSA & RESPA are 5 years. HMDA is 3 years following submission. You have to look at all of the regs the type of application is subject to.

Return to Top
#2218230 - 07/23/19 06:41 PM Re: Credit Card Application Record Retention David Dickinson
CU3840 Offline
thanks all!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G