Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2218682 - 07/29/19 08:37 PM What is the HMDA Purpose?
Brooke H Offline
We have a loan where the borrower inherited a home. The home had a lien on it and the borrower got the loan to pay off the lien. The lien was not in the borrower's name (it was in the name of the deceased), so I am questioning if this would be a refinance for HMDA?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2218685 - 07/29/19 08:56 PM Re: What is the HMDA Purpose? Brooke H
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Not a HMDA refinance (at least one of the borrowers must be the same on the new loan and the loan being extinguished). (I'm not sure by your reference to a lien if a loan is being paid off or some other type of lien....a tax lien for example....but regardless, it isn't a refinance.) Sounds like a home equity loan for HMDA, unless there's missing information about a home purchase or home improvement that is going on.

Return to Top
#2218689 - 07/29/19 09:10 PM Re: What is the HMDA Purpose? Brooke H
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Actually...i was mixing TRID and HMDA terms....there is no choice for "home equity" for HMDA...it would be an "Other".

Return to Top
#2218692 - 07/29/19 09:40 PM Re: What is the HMDA Purpose? Brooke H
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
kinda on the fence here. When the borrower inherited the home, did they agree to take on the debt too? Or is the estate paying it off? If it's the first, I might stretch that it's a refi. No, it's not the same named borrower but the debt was assumed by the borrower so, imho, they're technically the same borrower. I'm open to being dissuaded from this line of thought tho.

Return to Top
#2218695 - 07/29/19 09:58 PM Re: What is the HMDA Purpose? Brooke H
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I don't think they're the same borrower regardless. If the first loan was in the name of John Doe and now Marvin Public has inherited the home, the fact that the debt may now be in his name doesn't make it a HMDA refinance....it wasn't in his name when the original loan got made and Reg. C says that matters...IMHO.

Return to Top
#2218700 - 07/29/19 11:35 PM Re: What is the HMDA Purpose? Brooke H
Brooke H Offline
Thank you. Yes, it is a loan that is being paid off. I was leaning toward "Other" as the HMDA purpose.

Return to Top